Respritory infection... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
reptile-phan
Angry Respritory infection...

OK so crap happened between having a glass tank and using heat bulbs and lowering temp and basically i know..

so im trying to breed my carpet pythons in a 4x2x2 glass tank and i lowered the temps successfully but my night time bulb blew on one of the coldest nights of the week. i got the bulb replaced and thought all was well.

well... my girl ended up with ri now. Not serious yet. shes just breathing with her mouth open and doesnt look happy.

Im really sad because i was going wait and get the correct caging with a pro product heat panel and a thermostat and the whole nine yard but i took a chance... all was going well... but then the bulb blew.... now i feel terrible.

so im not trying to get out of going to the vet. im going as soon as i can
(when i get paid)

my question is, since respiratory infection are a bacterial disease. can they be treated with Metronidazole? metro is an antibiotic that is used to treat protozoal infections and anaerobic bacterial infections. In theory it should be able to knock this out. Especially since its relatively new.

Im just curious if any1 has something to say about this?

And im starting to slowly restore temps. The male is already quarantined. for now ive done everything

If metro could knock this out or even help then om all for it and no matter what will still be seeing a vet even if its just for a check up

thanks

Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
hhmoore
Carpets are fairly temperature tolerant, so I suspect there was more involved than the bulb going out that night....how cold did it get?
And, no, Flagyl is not likely to have much effect.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
reptile-phan
well i had the daytime temps basking spot at 87-90 and an ambient temp at 80 give or take a 2 degrees i let the night time temps drop to 70-75. the bulb blew and the cage is located in the basement. that being said i think the major factor is the class cage, because glass stays a couple degrees cooler than room temp. That night temps reached 34 degrees that night. im guessing the house temps barely reaches above that so maybe 38-40 degrees in the house|so maybe that in the tank. the reason why im guessing is because i have a temp gun to check my temps and i completely forgot to check that day because i was concerned about getting the temps back up

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
reptile-phan
a 40 degree drop

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!