LARGE display case (heating hints) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
blackandblue_lulu
LARGE display case (heating hints)

How can I go about heating this large display

I got this great offer from my local pet store since I come in all the time and look at the reptiles. There is no market for them anymore so they gave this to me, with a Cal King and Blue Tongued Skink for $100. Yay!

I asked about heating... NOTE: They don't want to handle the snake and really don't seem to have much reptile knowledge.... the manager says she uses a ceramic heater to distribute heat throughout.

As you can see on the bottem the drawers pull out, does this mean I will be able to possibly install flex watt tape on the inside of this? (once I move this out I will take it apart and take more pictures)

I hope to house Ball Pythons (babies and adults), The Cal King, and Possibly a Boa. (The skink I am giving to my best friend as a Christmas gift!)

Let me know your opinions on what you can see so far! I am REALLY excited!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Boa Delights
You got that entire thing for only 100 bucks?
That's amazing.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
suzuki4life
basically those cages require a heated room to provide proper ambient temps. You use a light to give a basking spot.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Boa Delights
It does however look like their is room for you to install flexx watt tape underneath them, it will be tight, but you can pull it off.
Make sure to get a T-stat too as the FW Tape can exceed tempeatures of 100 degrees.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa Delights View Post
It does however look like their is room for you to install flexx watt tape underneath them, it will be tight, but you can pull it off.
Make sure to get a T-stat too as the FW Tape can exceed tempeatures of 100 degrees.
similar cages as pictured that I have encountered are built with melamine on the bottom. If that is the case, trying to heat the bottom with flexwatt would not work. Flexwatt recommends that its product does not exceed 95 degrees to avoid failure.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Boa Delights
Hmm, I'm not sure what else to reccomend then.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
blackandblue_lulu
Found out that there is a vent that can blow hot hair in... and filter. They didn't have a filter in it, but I would take advantage of it. I still need to take more pictures. But there are also thermostat dials and hydrostat... So I believe you can control each environment separately.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa Delights View Post
You got that entire thing for only 100 bucks?
That's amazing.
I know! I was very lucky and thankful. I also got my first snake out of the deal. She is and adult Cal king. Beautiful and actually the first snake I had ever handled... it seems fate brought us together. lol

Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Boa Delights
You truly did get an amazing deal.
How are you liking the king?
She's the first potato chip.
What's your next?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Shadera
Ah! So you've moved out and mom's no longer paying your bills, then?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, cal king, heating