Starting a breeding project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
crum3290
Starting a breeding project

Hi This is chad

Im new to the forum but i just wanted to ask a question that i can't seem to figure out on my own. Im trying to start a new project and i have a male Retic that is a tiger and he is Het for Genetic stripe. I have been messing around with punnett squares and I'm trying to find the best female that would give me a cool variation. Note: this is my first retic project so it doesn't have to be anything super fancy. Im just looking for some help with some examples where lets say if i bought an albino lavender, what are the offspring going to look like.
I like the idea of getting an albio thus het for G.S. as well.

What do you guys think?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by crum3290 View Post
Hi This is chad

Im new to the forum but i just wanted to ask a question that i can't seem to figure out on my own. Im trying to start a new project and i have a male Retic that is a tiger and he is Het for Genetic stripe. I have been messing around with punnett squares and I'm trying to find the best female that would give me a cool variation. Note: this is my first retic project so it doesn't have to be anything super fancy. Im just looking for some help with some examples where lets say if i bought an albino lavender, what are the offspring going to look like.
I like the idea of getting an albio thus het for G.S. as well.

What do you guys think?
I am not into retics myself, but this is a hard question for others to answer. Let me explain why this is. Breeding should be done for your enjoyment and therefor your choice of what to breed what to. Getting ideas from others doesn't make it as personal. If you want retic albinos het G.S, then that is what you should breed for. Everyone has, or should have, a goal of what offspring they would like to produce, depending on if the offspring are needed for future breeding, to sell to offset cost of what you really want or just to breed for something you would like to have in your collection. Put into consideration how easy it would be to obtain a retic like what you are wanting to breed for. Something you may be able to do is tell us what you really are looking for or wanting to produce and maybe some people could chime in to let you know the best way to reach that goal. Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
crum3290
mxracer4life

Thanks a bunch! by the way, nice to see someone from IL, I'm from chicago and jus going to school down south. Anyways I think what Im really going for is I have a Tiger het G.S. and I'm liking the idea of having offspring that are albino genetic stripe and albino. I think this would be a great retic project and I'm unsure of how difficult it would be but I've bred Blue tongue skinks, and yellow Annies so far. I would expect to be wrong so please correct me, but if I have a male tiger het GS and a female Albino het GS, then the offspring would be 25% albino tigers, 25% GS and the rest would be combinations, one of which I'm hopping to be an Albino GS. does this sound feasible?

Thanks for your reply
Chad

Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by crum3290 View Post
mxracer4life

Thanks a bunch! by the way, nice to see someone from IL, I'm from Chicago and just going to school down south. Anyways I think what I'm really going for is I have a Tiger het G.S. and I'm liking the idea of having offspring that are albino genetic stripe and albino. I think this would be a great retic project and I'm unsure of how difficult it would be but I've bred Blue tongue skinks, and yellow Annie's so far. I would expect to be wrong so please correct me, but if I have a male tiger het GS and a female Albino het GS, then the offspring would be 25% albino tigers, 25% GS and the rest would be combinations, one of which I'm hopping to be an Albino GS. does this sound feasible?

Thanks for your reply
Chad
Like I said, I am not big on retics so I will try here. Genetic strip is recessive correct? And so is albino, we know that. The tiger gene is incomplete dominant. So breeding an Albino Het GS to a Tiger Het GS, you would get 50% normals and 50% tigers, of which ALL would be 100% het for albino and of all offspring 25% would be Genetic stripe. I am confident in what you will get with breeding tigers and albinos, but genetic stripe I am not sure of. Is there a incomplete dominant form of GS with retics? Or just recessive?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
hhmoore
het x het would yield 25% homozygous, 50% het, 25% normal.
The nonvisual offspring would be termed 66% hets

Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
het x het would yield 25% homozygous, 50% het, 25% normal.
The nonvisual offspring would be termed 66% hets
Are you just talking about the Genetic Stripe?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
hhmoore
No - that's for any recessive het x het breeding.
To get 50% homozygous (visual), you'd have to do a visual x het.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
No - that's for any recessive het x het breeding.
To get 50% homozygous (visual), you'd have to do a visual x het.
That's what I thought. What I was wondering, is the Genetic Stripe recessive or incomplete dominant in retics? I know tiger is incomplete, and albino is recessive, but I have no idea about Genetic stripe in tigers. It seems I may have heard of a tiger super strip before, but I am not sure if its the same gene or not.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
hhmoore
Genetic stripe is a recessive trait in retics
http://www.constrictors.com/Collecti...tedPython.html

Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
mxracer4life
Got it! So Chad, hope all this info helps. Harald is definitely more advanced with the genetics, but at least I tried.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!