A few late night thoughts (aka - my diatribe)... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
hhmoore
A few late night thoughts (aka - my diatribe)...

on the subject of off-topic posting.

Off-topic posting occurs in many forms, and not all of them are problematic. In some of the forums here, conversations can wander quite a bit...sometimes even straying so far that one would be hard pressed to relate the various discussions to the original subject. At times, this may cause a bit of resentment; but, generally, nobody gets too worked up about it - especially if the initial topic is resolved/played out.

On the BOI, however, off-topic posting can be quite disruptive. Now, in the real world (and to some degree, here, as well), I am something of a clown. Smart ass responses and jokes slip out, frequently with little thought. As such, I like a good wisecrack as much as the next person...therefore, I don't generally get too upset when an errant post pops in an otherwise serious thread. With increasing frequency, though, those comments serve as springboards to a succession of similar posts. The intent is often harmless - just good clean fun - but that is not always the case. And the more people that decide to join in the frivolity, the more disruptive it is to the thread.

Another off-topic type of problem that is pervading the BOI is the sideline bickering. Apparently, it isn't enough to address the issues of the thread anymore. Participants use random threads to trade barbs, comments, and/or accusations...often with others entering the fray on either side. This sometimes results in multiple pages of unrelated crap that people must sift through in order to follow the thread. No big deal to some, until they are the ones trying to decide whether to purchase from a given vendor - or, until they are the ones seeking some type of resolution - and have to deal with this from a different perspective.

As a Warning System Moderator, one of my optional duties is to help enforce the rules of this site. That includes intervening in BOI threads as I see fit. I don't like having to step in & tell members to stop fooling around, or to play nicely. I don't enjoy issuing warning points to people when they cross a line that is not clearly marked, or that somebody else might have crossed a few posts back. Many of the warnings are pretty clear & easily understood, but there are a few that are somewhat discretionary: overly abusive to another member, and maliciously destructive off-topic posting, being among them.
Maliciously destructive off-topic posting...sounds like pretty nasty stuff.
Malicious = spiteful, vicious, deliberately harmful
Destructive = tending to destroy or damage, ruining
But - in simplest terms, and in application - maliciously destructive off-topic posting can be anything that willfully shifts the course of a thread. Rampant joking, inappropriate commentary, bickering between participants (anybody that is not named in the thread or involved in transactions with said party) are all examples.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've gotten called away from this post a couple of times, and pretty much lost my train of thought...now, there are too many things to get done, so I'd better just close it & try again later.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
critical bill
How cool.....a glimpse into the mind and life of fauna moderator. I think you're doing a fantastic job, Harald.

Here ya go. Pin that sucker on your chest.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
kmurphy
Harald, I don't think the line is all that unclear. I think everyone knows when they are pushing the envelope. Some people just don't handle admonishment well. I don't know if this thread is meant to be an explanation of your reasoning behind handing out warning points. If so, then I don't think it was necessary for 95% of the members. I agree with Chuck, except not with tongue in cheek, you're doing a fantastic job.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Lucille
Harald

I agree that the side comments and pages and pages of barbs and insults detract from information a person may be seeking when he tries to access a particular person's reputation on the BOI with an eye toward making a purchase from that person.

While I have no problem with a rough and tumble atmosphere aimed at getting to the truth about a particular vendor or transaction, it seems like what you are describing is in a different category.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Harald, I don't think the line is all that unclear. I think everyone knows when they are pushing the envelope. Some people just don't handle admonishment well. I don't know if this thread is meant to be an explanation of your reasoning behind handing out warning points. If so, then I don't think it was necessary for 95% of the members. I agree with Chuck, except not with tongue in cheek, you're doing a fantastic job.
No, it wasn't an explanation for warning points...it was more a result of some conversations that have taken place recently. There was a point that I hadn't gotten to - the hazard of starting something like that at work. I posted it unfinished, because my only other option was to copy/paste it into an email & come back to it (and I just didn't have that kind of time at the moment.
Hopefully, I will still remember where I was going with it by the time I have a chance to finish.

Chuck - thanks for the gold star, buddy...usually I get something more like this:
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
hhmoore
Well, a few days have passed, and I have lost not only that specific train of thought, but my compulsion to fully explain the thoughts that precipitated this thread. I guess it will suffice to say that, IMO, there is too much blatantly off topic posting on the BOI. I'm sure that some people agree with that, and some do not...just as some people enjoy the skirmishes, while others don't.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Laura Fopiano
H, I must agree with you. Lately things no the BOI have been down right mean and nasty with members going off on each other.

What happened to the mutual love for the hobby/industry? What I am seeing reminds me of a cage full of rats with not enough food. The alpha rat fighting for his share and stealing from the other rats. This maybe a really bad analogy, I am tired, and having some health stuff going on that scares me.

I will not take this thread off topic with things that are going on with me. Just know that you're not alone in your thought process.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
WebSlave
Maybe I just allowed the BS to get too deep while I took a sabatical.... Damn shame this place needs a "daddy" to smack knuckles at all times.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!