monitor question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Lolital
monitor question

okay so i recently rescued a savannah monitor that has all kinds of colors in it blues purples orangeish color and some green and i was wondering if this was a color morph do they even come in color morphs other than albino? or maybe it's a regional thing like panther chameleons i'd just like to know if there are morphs and if there are morphs what are they worth this is my first large monitor and i took it in simply because it would have died in the situation it was in any help is appreciated

Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
TailsWithScales
Sounds 100% normal to me and the only true "morph" is a albino and I think there is only one in the US and it's never bred. Everything else is just a normal.

And the threat of death DOES NOT mean the animal is going into a better situation with you when you don't know how to care for it. I don't mean that offensively just speaking my truth.

Care sheet:
Savannah Monitor Care Sheet

Common Name: Savannah Monitor, Bosc Monitor
Latin name: Varanus exanthematicus

Difficulty Level: Intermediate to Advanced

Native to: The savannah monitor can be found in Sub-Saharan Africa, from Senegal to Sudan. Found north of the Congo River and in Lives in tropical
savannahs with seasonal drenching monsoons punctuating extended periods of parched weather.

Size: Typically 2.5 to 4 feet, although 5 foot specimens are known but rare.

Life span: 10 to 15 years if given proper care.

Enclosure: The best rule of thumb for this is you want at least 2 sq. foot of space for every one foot of adult monitor. That’s inside open cage space. From the top of the enclosure to the top of the substrate. A hatchling /juvenile can easily be housed in a 3’ long x 3’ deep x 3’ tall enclosure but that will not last long with proper care. Adults can and will take at least a 6’ long x 4’ deep x 4’ tall if not larger. You can build or buy a large enclosure.

Temperature: The cool side of the cage should be between 77° - 80° F, with
ambient temperatures 85° to 90° F on the hot end with basking spots that reach 120° to 140° F. Night time temperatures can fall to normal room temperature but leave the heat mat on 24 /7.

Heat/Light: A warm basking spot should be provided for this monitor by radiant light. Racks of flood /spot lamps work well for this, plan on 3 to 4 lamps at 60 to 120 watts each. Adjust the height above the basking spot to reach the ideal temperature. Supplemental heat can be supplied by large, robust heat mats such as Kane Mats. The monitor should be able to rest its entire body on the mat. You will need a Helix or some other form of heat controller!!!!! You want the heat mat to reach 100°. Ultraviolet light is not necessary.

Substrate: Dirt provides the best substrate. It needs to be deep enough to allow the monitor to construct tunnels and burrows naturally. This provides not only security, but helps with regulating humidity and temperature. Go to places like Home Depot or Lowe’s and pick up non-chemically treated soil, sand, and peat moss. Mix the soil and peat moss (add water if needed) then add the sand slowly together until it clumps in your hand but doesn’t drip. Fill the monitor's cage to a depth of two or three feet. You can also get mulch (cypress) and use that instead of dirt but be sure to have humidity gages so that you can ensure proper humidity. You can buy a mister to spray if the cage with if it’s having a problem holding humidity. By using the mulch the cage will need to be sprayed everyday. You can also spray the top of the soil to ensure it doesn’t get to dry which can strip the cage of humidity and dry out the monitor.

Environment: Humidity levels should be about 70-75% for this species. Monitors become less active in the dry season; a dry cage coupled with readily available food will lead to obesity and health problems. Logs and sticks, particularly hollow logs, provide exercise and entertainment. All monitors climb so be sure to provide logs /branches that are thick enough to be used. A large cat litter pan can be used for providing water. Live /fake plants will quickly be destroyed by a curious and active monitor and can be toxic!!!! It’s advised to not use them. If you choose to use fake plants be sure to only buy plants purely designed for reptiles.

Diet: Adult monitors can be fed a staple diet of frozen-thawed mice, rats, chicks, who fishes and shelfish and bunny kits every other day. Juvenile monitors can be raised on a diet of insects dusted with vitamin and mineral powder and appropriately sized rodents or all the adult foods chopped everyday.

Maintenance: Clean up feces and urates as soon as you notice them, inspect the cage at least once daily for cleanliness. Replace the water when it becomes soiled or dirty and scrub out the dish. The top substrate can dry out, but make sure it remains moist (not wet) underneath. Add a few buckets of water to the cage as necessary to keep the substrate slightly damp.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Lolital
Okay i was just trying to find out yes i may not have experience with savannah's but i also claimed in my post i was going to re-home him i just didn't want to put the adoption fee for a possible morph low so a reptile flipper could get in cheap then rehome it for more expensive i have a large enclosure for him even though he's only about 2 foot right now so he'll be content on my home raised roaches and mice/rats until i can find him a home with more savannah experience also i've taken in all sorts of different reptiles and i do know what i'm doing and have read several care sheets and continue to read care sheets on all the reptiles and inverts i keep because the hobby is forever growing with knowledge as more is found out about each species so i never intended to keep it just wanted to find out the apropriate fee or if it should be specialized as a morph with the fee i'm currently trying to find it a stable forever home with someone who has savannah experience.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
TailsWithScales
The adoption fee is whatever you feel it should be. I've seen it vary from $10 - $100 on an exanthematicus.

I know my post sounded a bit rude but as I said it wasn't meant that way. Monitors are unlike ANY other reptile when it comes to husbandry so taking one on, especially having never dealt with them before can be putting the animal into more danger then being in squalor conditions. Strangely enough The shock of the change can kill them. I've rescued hundreds of Savannah over the years and treat new monitor rescuers all the same with a lot of information and yes, your right, some judgement. I've had to rescue monitors from the rescuers simply because it was more then what they bargained for.

Remember it's all about the animal and it's health and well being.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Lolital
Oh i actually do have monitor experience i had a timor monitor that i kept for quite some time before it eventually passed because he was an older monitor so i kinda have a decent idea what to expect only on a larger scale i know they vary slightly but i've managed to take care of other monitors in the past even a full grown nile for a couple weeks while my friend was building it a new enclosure it's just i never had long term large monitor experience and while he's still managable i'm trying to find him a home because when he gets big i wont be able to manage him myself i have smaller pets in the house as well that a worry about because if he grows up to be anything like the nile i babysat he'll try to eat my dogs but i already might have some adopters so i'm hoping i can find him a great home

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
monitor, morphs, savannah