Growth Rates? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Valerie
Growth Rates?

Back in August we bought 2 LVPA's from a breeder. They were both from the same parents, but from different clutches. The first hatched in May after 54 days of incubation, while the other hatched in July after 69 days. When we got them the smaller one weighed under 6 grams and the larger was around 19. The smaller one was strange from the second we opened up her deli cup, with a good amount of extra skin around her neck and shoulders, which sort of made her look like she didn't have a neck.

I instantly became attached to the smaller one, hand feeding her a few meal worms at every feeding and letting her eat the rest of them from her bowl. She's always been a consistent eater, but she barely grows! Like I said she was 6 grams in August when we got her and now 6 months after being in our care she is tipping the scales at 29 grams. She appears healthy with a chubby stomach and tail, she's just really small and stocky. She still gains an average of 4 grams per month but her sibling who was 19 grams when we got her in now 62.

I know all geckos have different growth rates, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had this happen. I guess our concerns lay in our records, where we had our first hatchling in August, who in three months time was up to 50 grams (not a giant) and this little girl is hanging back in the weight and size category.

Here's the most recent picture of her, and don't worry, her arm isn't always turned that way! You can see the extra skin wrinkles she has around her neck and take a look at her size.
http://www.ryanroth.com/leos/breeders_rwpa_count.html

Old 02-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
I would just attribute it to "they are all different". She looks very healthy and has good structure. I don't know what to make of the neck skin?

In addition, I have noticed that the Rainwater bloodlines tend to be on the smaller side to begin with. With extensive outcrossing this will change.

I'm 6 foot and my sister is like 5 foot 2.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Valerie
Thanks Jeremy. I think the flabby neck just made me worry that something may actually be wrong with her. We sort of figured it would just come down to different gecko/different rates, but that's interesting info about rainwaters!

And I'm 5'3'' and my brother is 6' also. *sigh* Genetics.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
CoolGecko
Rainwater Albinos tender to have problems with size but with outcrossing will help this problems. Long as she is eating well and not deformed that ok.. some of my Rainwater Albino hatched like yours and do fine rest of life with no problem.

Thanks,
Preston Berry
www.coolgeckos.com

Old 02-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
Val, are they housed together or separately?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Valerie
She's been housed seperately from the day we got her.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
LeosForLess
Well i have a 53 gram 6 month old RW albino, may be becuase it is outcrossed to a blizzard, well het for blizzard.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
420Geckos
she reminds me of a frog with that "pouch".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!