Uromastyx Brumating? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
P05TMAN
Question Uromastyx Brumating?

Hi there!

I got my first uromastyx about 2 months ago and while I'm no stranger to reptiles, uros are very new to me. He's a yearling and seems to be adjusting well I suppose however I'm curious and concerned...
Lately he has been not really eating very much and sleeping most of the day. He'll come out to bask but just seems really uninterested in food. He was shipped from FL to Co and the season is changing quickly, though his temps in his enclosure are optimal and have not changed. Is he brumating or is there something worse going on? He seems OK, not dehydrated but I'm just worried. More recently (last couple of days), he's just been in one spot not moving at all. I've gently touched him to see if he was alive and he is, just opens his eyes, looks at me and goes back to sleep. Any insight is so very much appreciated. I'd ask his breeder, but since he's in FL, he's dealing with the hurricane aftermath. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nick P.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
P05TMAN
Current Temps
Day:
Cool side: 95 F
Hot side: 105 - 107 F
Bask area: 115 - 118 F

Night (only incandescent):
85 F

Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
P05TMAN
Sorry... one more thing:

"Day light" (UVA/UVB & ReptiSun Basking Bulb) is 13 hours

Old 11-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
P05TMAN
Well since no one seems to know, I took my Uro to the vet to ask. I've found that he is in brumation and his behaviour is expected. I've invested in an "under tank heater" that's positioned on the side of the tank to help mitigate temperature variances caused by Colorado winter as well as the ambient temp of my house (which is held at 65 to save on heat costs); still, nothing can stop instinct and avoiding brumation is not always guaranteed from what I gather. Hopefully this may help someone else that encounters this. I continue to offer food daily and recommend anyone else that encounters this to do so as well. Though the uro mostly sleeps all day and maybe eats once per week.... I personally hate the recommendations from some local reptile stores to just not feed him until he's active. I'd rather waste the food then my uro potentially waking hungry, only to find nothing to eat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
uromastyx