Inquiry Underground Reptiles: Sick animal inquiry? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
thamnophis123
Underground Reptiles: Sick animal inquiry?

Hello all - I bought new born water snakes from Underground Reptiles this summer. They have developed a disease that vets have speculated is Snake Fungal Disease (SFD).

I have spent $185 testing one of the snakes for the disease. If you're not familiar with it, SFD is a contagious, potentially lethal fungal disease that is killing wild snakes, as well as captives. It has no known cure.

I have had others tell me they bought snakes from Underground Reptiles that died with symptoms similar to SFD. While my snake is being tested I would like to see if any of you have, or know of someone who has had snakes from Underground develop skin lesions, scabby, crusty bumps, swollen eyes, disfigured areas in the nose / lip area.

If so, photos would be great, descriptions would be good to have as well.

Thanks -

Joe Monahan

Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post
I have had others tell me they bought snakes from Underground Reptiles that died with symptoms similar to SFD.
Please name the 'others' and show the vet paperwork with the vet's name that 'speculates' this disease.
Please realize that anonymous information from others, and anonymous speculation, will lead to requests for more specific information. That is only fair, as you have specifically named a company here and seem to be alleging a connection between your snakes' illness and the company.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
thamnophis123
Here is the receipt from todays vet visit. I'll add a couple photos of the sick snakes below. I asked, and was told, they will provide more details, including the species of snake, in the full write up, which will include the lab report from the Dr who is formats in this disease at U. of Illinois.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
thamnophis123
FYI, the Ophidiomyces - qPCR is the specific genetic test developed specifically to ID the snake fungus. The vet doing the test, and who my vet consulted with today is the top researcher in the country for this disease. Like the other emerging fungal diseases attacking bat, frog and salamander species, this fungus has the potential to do a huge amount of damage to wild and captive herps.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Lucille
Joe I'm sure you must have notified Underground, what did they say?
Please post the actual vet findings as soon as you have them.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
thamnophis123
No, I have not notified Underground Reptiles. I spoke with a person who was at their facilities and told me she saw adult snakes in pretty bad shape. The babys she bought have shown signs of disease, SFD in my opinion. I'll see if she will contribute to this thread.

If a relatively big dealer is sending dangerously infected snakes all over the country its really a bigger deal than just good guy / bad guy. So I can see how some people may not want to get involved

Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
nickolasanastasiou
Name the person or get the person to name herself, please, and soon.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post
I have had others tell me they bought snakes from Underground Reptiles that died with symptoms similar to SFD.
These people really need to come forward.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
tlmoon
I've never heard of this disease before, but a quick google search is certainly concerning.

It looks from underground's site that their water snakes are WC, and this disease has been found in WC water snakes (as well as others). So it seems possible that a person could be be sent infected snakes.

I don't know enough to know if this is the sort of thing you take a chance with, with WC animals, or if it's something that could infect a whole collection that a seller should be monitoring for. I think there is a big difference between a rare and/or emerging disease that takes everyone by surprise, and a known issue that a seller knows about and sends out sick animals anyway. Obviously we don't know enough yet to ascertain that yet...it would be good if Underground responds either to the OP or here.

OP, I'm glad you're bringing this up since it could be a major problem if this disease breaks out all over and wreaks havoc. I'm sure you will get a lot of questions - most folks here try to be fair, and you may get a lot of questions and requests for evidence. Which is only fair, as Lucille pointed out. I really hope we don't end up with something like chytrid in frogs....not only is that awful, but it leads to a need for laws banning the sale of animals, and all that kind of stuff. Anyway, it will be interesting to see the discussion on this scary sounding issue.

And last but not least, I'm sorry for your poor snakes! Horrible to have them so ill. I hope there is a treatment?

Old 11-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
Its_JoeyHello
Could you have the DVM copy his/her SOAP and post a photo? This would help a great deal. I am truly sorry about the snake and I hope nothing else in the collection is contaminated. Kind regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!