new male has white sides - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
missinasworld
new male has white sides

So I got a new male at a reptile show last week and he was sold as a pastel 100% het pied male, and I was told that he is a proven breeder. I got him for a steal to! I could not really see his sides when I got him because he was curled up in paper bedding. I got him home and after giving him some time to adjust to his new enclosure, I noticed his sides are very white. and I should have taken a pic of it but didn't, he has a clean white belly to. What does everyone here think? I'm kind of worried that the breeder mislabeled him, and excited that he is the right snake, but a little more than I thought. Or do some pastels just have high white sides like this? I am still new to ball pythons and have 2 other female 100% het pieds that will be bred to this male next year.
I also e-mailed the breeder about photos of this snakes offspring, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks,

Missina

Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
j_dunlavy
Hets are risky, IMO, unless you are buying from a highly reputable breeder or someone else you really trust (not to say that it is not het, also not to say that new/unknown breeders cannot be trustworthy).

You mention the belly is clean; most breeders will tell you a het pied will have markers along the belly. although I am skeptical of the het marker theory, a photo of the belly may be helpful.

The other problem you may run into when you breed him to your hets is; if you miss the odds and get no pieds, you may assume he is not a het. Remember that there is only a 25% chance of getting a pied from a het to het pair so it may take a couple tries.

As far as the pastel side goes; once the snakes are adults it can make them look less like a pastel (they darken). he has nice flames in the black markings on his sides but not much bushing on the back, and a little on the head. The high white is really nice, IMO, but not a sign that he is pastel. If I had to call it, I would say pastel with nice white sides.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
I would say pastel with nice white sides.
agreed, we have a couple that look just like that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!