New York state law issues - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #71
Ron Schuster
NY Reptile Ban

Joe,

I hope many people from out of state e-mail the govenor like yourself.

One of the many points I made to the govenor in my letter to him mentioned that NY would lose sales tax revenue as a result of the ban. A politician may not understand our needs and desires to maintain reptiles, but I guarantee they know economic losses. Another point that hits politicians is that I vote and I encourage many others to do so as well!

Besides, Florida may have their own legal tricks "up their sleaves". The alien species problem has been heard here in NY and heard loudly! The latest being the Nile Monitor "problem". It already has scared "women and children" and costing tax payers money to research and capture them. And it is a matter of time that some biologist will determine they are eating the eggs of some endangered species or passing a zoonotic disease. Then, who will they blame? Anyone that keeps reptiles because we are seen as "bad guys" to them and the zoological communtiy.

Keep up the educating! It's contageous! (Can you tell I'm a teacher?)

-Ron

Old 07-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #72
Bruce Lowder
NY Reptile Ban Update

I wanted to bring everyone up to date on what is happening with this legislation. From what I am hearing out of Albany, Governor Pataki is planning on signing the exotics bill, BUT will only do so if an amendment is passed that restricts the boidae bann to just anacondas, retics, burms, and African rock pythons. This amendment has been introduced, and can be seen here: http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A11753&sh=t

I want to thank everyone who has contacted Governor Patakis' office about this legislation! I'm sure that if it had not been for pressure on the part of the herp community, we would have been stuck with the original ban on the ENTIRE family Boidae!!

Bruce Lowder
NY Metro Reptile Expo

Old 07-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #73
MarcAntony
I also want to thank everyone who contacted the Governor. In my letter to him, I specifically pointed out how ludicrous it was to ban an entire family (Boidae) of reptiles, some of which are totally non-threatening. I also pointed out that the entire bill smacked of political "grandstanding". Let's hope that the message was received loud and clear!

Old 07-19-2004, 01:45 AM   #74
Glenn Bartley
The amended bill, while easier to take, still is not really acceptable as I see it unless permits to keep these animals are easily obtainable by intermediate to experienced hobbyists. My guess is that permits will not be available at all for the hobbyist as the bill leaves the permit issue up to the Dept. of Environmental Conservation (if I read it correctly). That is a shame, and it is also a shame that people are willing to accept such as inevitable. The worst part of it all is that groups such as PETA and the Humane Society of the United States may use passage of this bill as a stepping stone to enact future restrictive legislation - a foot in the door sort of a thing. I believe that people should continue writing to their legislators and to the governor to voice their dissatisfaction with this bill even in its amended format at least in the hopes of assuring that the permit system will be fair and equitable t the hobbyist.

I would also like to thank the many people (my guess is in the hundreds) who signed the petition, opposing the bill, presented by the Long Island Herpetological Society at the NY Metro Reptile Show.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #75
Vince
Question

But cant you agree that the bill has a base? if these type of animals are causeing harm to people should they be aloud to be kept as pets, or be ban pending qualification for a permit? or registration such as needed for a dog or cat?

Old 07-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #76
Glenn Bartley
Ni I cannot agree that the bill has a fair basis. This bill was pushed by animal rights extremists. These animals do not as you imply routinely cause harm to people. If I live in most areas of NY state, I do not require a permit (not talking licenses here but permits) for a horse. Nor do I require a permit for a dog, a cat, or a chicken. Yet all of these animals cause many more injuries, either directly or indirectly, to humans each year than do pet reptiles or amphibians - and even more so proportionately than do boids. There are plenty of things that harm people that do not require a permit. These are, among many other things, knives, stairs, hot coffee, trees, computer keyboards, and other people (could you imagine needing a permit to procreate - will that be next). That is just naming a few things - none of which requires a permit. The type of permit system of which you apparently write, is one in which someone would not be allowed to keep an animal until they have proven themself learned enough to keep it. That is not the way at all with cats and dogs - not at all. You go to the pet shop, buy the dog or cat, and then apply for and get a license. There is no educational requirement or anything like that. So no I do not think the bill has a base, except a base of, in my opinion: ill informed politicians looking for the votes of a bunch of kooks.

When the provisions of any such bill are first discussed with the people who actually keep the animals in question, including discussions with herpetologists (amateur and professional), zookeepers, herpetological societies, the pet trade - as opposed to the great majority of input coming from ill informed animal rights extremists, and from sensational news reports - then I more likely will believe that such a bill has a legitimate basis.

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

Old 07-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #77
Zoo Supply
Updated on Letter to Senator Kuhl

Just thought I would let you know I received a letter back from Senator Kuhl thanking me for my concern, he has asked me to review the law and send him my thoughts on it, and forward a copy to Governor pataki as soon as possible, I will put his letter to me on here asap. I will let you know, I have Dr. Mark Wilson, as well as some other industry people working on this with me. If anyone would like to help, Email me.
Tom Snyder

Old 08-18-2004, 11:17 PM   #78
E2MacPets
Any updates?

Old 08-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #79
Classic Dum's
Only 5 species of snakes are being banned, below is how the clause reads,below that us the link the the article. Sadly enough there holding each and everyone of us resonsible for the actions of a couple people. On the other side of the token this this would not have changed had everyone not done their part by writing and calling etc.

(5) All reptiles that are venomous by nature, pursuant to department
20 regulation, and the following species and families: {Boidae family}
21 BURMESE PYTHON (PYTHON M. BIVITTATUS), RETICULATED PYTHON (PYTHON RETI-
22 CULATUS), AFRICAN ROCK PYTHON (PYTHON SABAE), GREEN ANACONDA (EUNECTES
23 MAURINUS), YELLOW ANACONDA (EUNECTES NOTAEUS) , AUSTRALIAN AMETHYSTINE
24 PYTHON (MORELIA AMETHISTINA KINHORNI), INDIAN PYTHON (PYTHON MOLURUS),

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A11753&sh=t

Old 10-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #80
dave
Exclamation reptile ban ny not too late !

just to let everyone know i called nys to check on the status of this bill its has passed back in june and is being sent to governor patakis office !!! its not too late to let them know u oppse this bill !u can call 518-474-8390 or email them www.state.ny.us
why not post this at your local pet shops reptile shows webpages or wherever ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!