Phoenix Worms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
debhogman
Phoenix Worms

According to their website they are a calcium rich feeder and according to the nutritional chart they are above all in calcium ppm. With proper lighting do you feel this is enough calcium for bearded dragons. I would suppose there is such a thing as too much calcium, correct?

I feed mine phoenix worms and greens. They get crickets twice a week because they love the chase. I don't dust the crickets right now because they eat phoenix worms - just wondering if I should.

Deb Hogman
Memphis TN

Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
sallen87
Unless using liquid calcium, in a hatchling or juvenile it is near impossible to cuase hypercalcemia. So dusting calciworms (Pheonix is a brand name) is still advisable. Also supplying lots of greens (collard, mustard, etc.) is a good idea; these are the highest calcium carrying leafy greens.

In mature dragons, hypercalcemia is more of a concern. But again, only if you are overapplying a calcium supplement. So in an adult, I would drop the dusting to 2-4 times per week. You also need to be concerned about over application of vitamin supplements like Herpvite. Mature specimens are no longer enduring the rapid growth that juveniles undergo. Thus the demand for high concentrations of vitamins diminishes. You need to be especially concerned about the ratios of vitamins in proportion to each other. As you can, impose a toxicity by supplying an imbalanced mixture.

If anyone disagrees, would you please elaborate? As I have never experienced a toxic level of any vitamin or mineral. If feel I am excessive in the fact that my dragons also regularly recieve probiotics with organic baby food. This is just to ensure good health and proper disgestion. I was concerned it could cause an over absorption of nutrients, but I have seen absolutely no signs to be concerned about in any of my beardies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!