Opinions on sub-species of GTP? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Charis
Opinions on sub-species of GTP?

Sorry if this question has been asked. I did search around a bit but for some reason most of my searches come back with nothing.
I'm wanting to eventually get a GTP, probably in a year or two but I'm having a bit of a hard time researching them. I'm confused by the different sub-species. So maybe you guys can help me narrow my search? In your opinion, which is the smallest, most touchable GTP? Thank you!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
chamgirl99471
That's a good question.. another one to add is how do you tell the difference between the subspecies especially when they are juviniles?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Utta
*sharp deep inhale* well it all depends on your personal favorite and head shape. GTPs all max out at around 4-6ft but because of the body type it doesn't seem so. They arnt a snake to "bolt" out of your hands or off their perch.

Also, telling the difference just from eyesight takes a lot of looking at the locals and noticing the differences. Besides pattern,colour, headshape and body type you have to rely on the pedigree behind the animal for sale.

About 85% or so of the WC and FB babies for sale will be biaks. One of the larger snappier locals.

Ill give you a list of the known locals (to my knowledge. I probably am going to miss a few, but a chrondro guy can come and correct my mistakes so I can learn too )

Biak: larger, meaner local out there. They take some time to go threw colour change. And have generic green colour to them.

Sorong: med. Sized local with nice temperment. Get a bit softer green and have soft blue tones. Also have a longer more narrow head.

Jayapura: med. Sized local with ok temperment. Get a darker green with darker blues.

Aru: med.? Size local with nice temperment. Nice true green with soft shades of blue

Arfak: smaller sized local with ok temperment. Darker green with black scales and very little blue.

PNG(papa new guinea) : not sure on size, temperment or colour as these seem to only be outcrosses. I.E. PNG x aru etc.

Kofiau: smaller size local with ok temperment. High quality ones stay yellow.

Meraku(sp?): smaller local with nice temperment. Lime green with soft blues.

Lereh: pale greens, with pale blues. Don't know much more.

Id visit MVD for more info, I think I have the link in the thread started by Username: Takenlate04

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
chamgirl99471
Thank You Utta.. You've given me more then enough info... I can now identify the two I received from a local trade and will be selling on here as soon as I can snap their pictures... They are Juvie Biaks according to your description about temperment mainly.. LOL.. and the fact that they were CH babies.. Not farm raised but hatched from an import

Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Utta
Post a few pics of them. Normally how much you pay gives it away that they are WC/FB, but you can get a great deal.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
chamgirl99471
As soon as I can borrow my friend's camera again.. i will get those pictures posted... I traded quite a bit back and forth with this local so I couldn't tell you exactly what I payed for them.. LOL.. I don't know who made out better in the deal but these two are quite pretty... I'll have to get a closer look at them tomorrow.. snake rooms locked up now.. they are just now changing color from the yellowish orange to their green grown up color.. it's almost a lime green though so I'm not sure what's going to happen with them

Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Charis
Thank you Utta! You also kind of answered my next question. Do some of them stay yellow? I'd heard people talk about theirs like they were going to stay that color but then it seemed like all the ones I was looking at were expected to turn green. It's not really an animal I plan on handling a lot but I don't want one that will try to eat me everytime I have to get into it's enclosure.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamgirl99471 View Post
As soon as I can borrow my friend's camera again.. i will get those pictures posted... I traded quite a bit back and forth with this local so I couldn't tell you exactly what I payed for them.. LOL.. I don't know who made out better in the deal but these two are quite pretty... I'll have to get a closer look at them tomorrow.. snake rooms locked up now.. they are just now changing color from the yellowish orange to their green grown up color.. it's almost a lime green though so I'm not sure what's going to happen with them
My list is just generic. Heck, some biaks are all blue each one is diffrent, that's half the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Thank you Utta! You also kind of answered my next question. Do some of them stay yellow? I'd heard people talk about theirs like they were going to stay that color but then it seemed like all the ones I was looking at were expected to turn green. It's not really an animal I plan on handling a lot but I don't want one that will try to eat me everytime I have to get into it's enclosure.
Np! I'm not even a "chrondro guy" I know to much basic info as for if some stay yellow? They can. You can spend some high money on a pure local canary, or some high money for a "high yellow line" in the GTP world, what you get is what you pay for. Everyone can hope their WC babies turn out special. Kinda like dinkers for the BP world.

If you want a beautiful animal with a decent temper, id go for a Jaya. If you want a "hand gtp" and still stunning, id go with a sorong or aru.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
gsrept
list is good but i would have to disagree with the Biak local being meaner, every biak i own and i am partial to them is very easy to handle and they also have a great feeding responce i think they get a bad rap out of all the locals far none the easiest to keep IMO.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
gsrept
as for color biaks tend to retain higher amounts of yellow then other locals

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!