Sick snake, Mouth-Rot - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Nick & Chelsea
Sick snake, Mouth-Rot

Went to a local pet store today and got what may possibly be a deal. I picked up a very young female Amazon Tree Boa, for $30.00 cash. She has a case of mouth-rot though, which is the reason for my success in low-balling the guy down to a price I could afford to pay for it at all. I figured I would take a chance, and try to fix her up. It's been a while since I've had to deal with mouth-rot in anything. I am however, practiced at it and I hope I will be successful in getting her healthy again.

She is very frail, and thin, and has not eaten anything for atleast the past two months according to the kid who works at the store. She has milky eyes, and looks as though she is about to shed, but obviously can't, due to her lousy health. I have purchased Betadine and Peroxide, and have her in a small, and very warm cage for now, in order to warm her up good. I also purchased a small feeding syringe to administer the disinfectants to her mouth and gums. I've given her a nice warm bath, and will continue treatments until she is back to normal health. Though she isn't a special morph, I still got her cheap enough, and I really felt bad for her, because the pet store owner told me he didn't have any further plans for her beyond the hope someone willing to give her a shot would come along.

Though I am somewhat experienced in this stuff.
Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated as her health is my goal, first and foremost.

In the end, if she survives, she will be kept as a pet. I am not out to make money off of reselling her.

Thanks in advance everyone, for any and all suggestions and/or advice on cure and care for this lovely innocent girl.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
IGUANITOR
nice thing you did hope it all works out

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
GHC Exotics
Seems like you are being very pro active with the situation. The only further advice I would give you or thoughts on anything is to try taking some q-tips and swab out any infection that you can before treating it, It has always seemed to help speed up the healing process for any animals Ive had to treat with mouth rot. Hope that helps atleast a little bit. Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Nick & Chelsea
Okay, Last night my brother came over to pick up my full grown Red Tegu and checked out Pepper, and did a lot of work on him. I hadn't realized it, but there was a huge chung of dried puss in his mouth and it was really bad. We bathed him, and treated all of the mouth rot with Peroxide, and even a few teeth came out with all of the junk in his mouth. My brother Joe, whom is much more experienced, said that this was the worst case of mouth-rot he's ever seen or heard about.
I bathed him in warm water from 9pm, 'til 9am, and when I took him back out of the water, his shed skin came off with my help very easily. I did another peroxide treatment, and he's become extremely active now, and showing very obvious signs of recovery. My brother gave me some very valuable training on how to clean his mouth out properly, and completely, which I took very seriously. Today Pepper has been very active and looks world better than he did 24 hours ago, and I am very sure he will make full recovery now that I am more thoroughly trained, and more competent in my actions. We used the Q-Tips by the way, so "Thank you GHC". I will keep everyone more informed on the progress. My brother said that if I keep it up, he will probably be ready to eat mid next week and make a more speedy recovery after that. Thanks again, for reading and responding folks. Watch for updates if interested. Nick

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Nick & Chelsea
Today, he's been very active again, and even made an almost successful attempt at biting me while I was treating him. I bathed him this morning for a little while and treated his mouth once again. Tonight I will repeat the process. His gums have shown significant improvement and are now nice and pink in color and he'd got the strength to climb the branches I've got mounted in his habitat which he could not even do a few days ago. I can't wait 'til he is fully recovered from this!!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
GHC Exotics
Glad to hear it! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Nick & Chelsea
Got bit good today on my forearm... LOL!!

That's a good sign that his mouth is feeling better right?

From what I know, they don't bite anything at all because of the pain when they have mouth rot....

Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Nick & Chelsea
Update.... Well today I went out for a few hours and came home to find that after all of the hard work, and the snake making what seemed to be good progress... He had passed away while I was gone. He was doing well this morning when I bathed him, and treated his mouth.. I don't understand what went wrong however I understand how these things happen. Unfortunately my efforts were to no avail. I do feel sorry for him, but I know I did more than most would have bothered to begin with based on the seriousness of his mouth-rot when I bought him. I feel really bad about it... Thanks for reading... -Nick

Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
GHC Exotics
Im sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, dealing with live animals, this is something that does sometime happen. You did your best, and you are appreciated for your efforts. Good luck on everything you do!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
GreenTreePython13
I had a very similar thing happen to me with one of my female Green Trees. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do or how hard you try to take care of the animal, nature is still going to run its course. I applaud you for trying and for your efforts. Know that you gave that boa a longer and more comfortable life than it would have had at the store

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!