How Make Bd Eat Greens - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
alejandro
How Make Bd Eat Greens

hello

how can i make my 4 week old bearded dragon eat greens?

Old 08-27-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Either put mealworms on top of the greens, or make the greens move.

It's not essential to get your 4 week old dragon on greens just yet - but it does help.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Blazin
Another thing that works.

A few things that helps get them start also is to mist the greens. Also if you take a pinch of them and drop them over and over like was mentioned before to get them to move. Another technique is also to use a large plastic lid like from one of those big sized butter containers and spread out the greens on them.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Lynn
From the time they are born I give salads. Keep it bite size. I find that when they are 11 days old they will start their salad eating.. Dragons are not dumb..Why eat salad when they know they are going to get crickets... I feed salads first then come back a few hours later with crickets.. I have no problem getting them to eat salads. I do not recommend mealworms. They can eat their way back out of the stomach if the head is not bitten off. Baby dragons tend to gobble. I feed my dragons superworms at 8 months old when I start weaning them off crickets..Just my 2 cents. Works for me

Old 10-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I do not recommend mealworms. They can eat their way back out of the stomach if the head is not bitten off.
Still a reptile myth. It just doesn't happen.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #6
Lynn
I have a Vet that begs to differ. I know of 2 different people having that problem. The meals eat threw the stomach. Young dragons really do not chew their food that well. Oh well you know the old saying..."You can talk to 10 different breeders and they will tell you 10 different things and it all works for them." I perfer not to take the chance. There is to many other things you can feed dragons other then mealies... I have raised my dragons for 9 years without mealworms.. It works for me...

Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
beardeddraggylover
Whether mealworms can chew through the stomach or not, they are a HORRIBLE choice to feed your beardie!

Mealworms have alot of shell, and hardly any meat. Mealworms have chitin in their shell which is undigestable. If you value your beardie's life you won't give it mealworms at ANY age. Even mealworms fed to an adult still risks it getting impacted.

Amanda Kathleen Stuparyk.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
beardeddraggylover
Lynn said:
Quote:
I feed my dragons superworms at 8 months old when I start weaning them off crickets..Just my 2 cents.
I'm just curious, but when you said you start weaning your dragons off of crickets... You don't mean that you weaned them onto superworms as a staple, correct?

Superworms are not nutrional enough to be used a staple, and should only be fed to an Adult Bearded Dragon occasionally. They are very high in phosphorus.

Here is a site that has done research about the nutrition content ect. for various Foods that are/or have been given to bearded dragons. It's in alphabetical order.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/

Old 10-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
Lynn
I take my dragons off crickets completely around 8 months old. They are given a variety of salads daily with a meat product offered 3 times a week. I change meats so they do not get the same thing. I feed superworms ,pinky mice fuzzy mice roaches waxworms butterworms or silkworms.. Their daily food is salads... When they are babies they need alot of protein because they grow so fast and are so active. When they get older they do not need that much protein. They are not so active and meat products make them fat. They can get sicknesses such as gout from to much protein. Besides that crickets are nasty..This is where alot of the sicknesses come from for dragons..Their food. Crickets need to be kept very clean. And fed clean foods..Also, if a cricket eats your dragons waste then the dragon eats the cricket well here comes the parasites..]
This method has worked for me and my customers for 9 years now.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
beardeddraggylover
Silkworms and crickets are the only things that should be used as staples. The rest are too fatty to use as staples, I've also learned that pinkie mice (as much as I didn't want to hear it either) are too fatty and should only be fed to gravid females.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/index.php

They hold the most wonderful sources of new information on Bearded dragons and what to feed them. I garuntee you wouldn't regret it. You learn alot of things on that site on what you 'thought' to be good for Bearded dragons, and alot of research and such is posted on there to prove alot of things on Dragon care to be wrong. The experts there are incredible. Particularly Kakadu (She has beautiful Dragons!), Jerrybarie, and PhatBeardie's advice.

Also, check out this site for nutrition in certain foods, and if they're good for Beardies or not... It's great research, very helpful when picking out veggies.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!