Returned Snake at Herp Show - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
homegrownherps
Returned Snake at Herp Show

Here a issue that I have had to deal with recently, and I have not seen it discussed here yet.

What to do in the situation when a customer purchases a reptile (snake) from you at a show, and returns later with it dead or near dead.

And they tell you "its just died" !

I would like some input on what others would do or suggest in this instance.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
shrap
Jim,

Exactly when is "later"? Later in the day at the show? A month later? How much time are we actually talking from the time the person took the animal and brought it back?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
homegrownherps
The snake was purchased between 10:00 A.M & 11:00 A.M. - and was brought back about 3:45 P.M. same day.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Serpwidgets
I would at least consider refunding their money, but there's no way I'd give them another snake to kill. (I wonder what the odds are that they left it in the car to cook...)

Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
kmurphy
It must be a little awkward to have someone bring a dead snake to your table.
It depends upon the situation. If the person is a newbie and the animal not too expensive I would just replace it along with some very detailed instructions.
I guess there is some assumption that the people who buy at shows are somewhat experienced and certainly, if things are busy, there isn't a lot of time to talk. To me that's a risk you take at shows. Sometimes the buyer has absolutely no clue what they are doing. If we didn't pass on a little care advice are we to blame the purchaser?? In a perfect world people wouldn't buy a live animal without knowing how to take care of it but, as we all know, that don't hold true with reptiles.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
I would at least consider refunding their money, but there's no way I'd give them another snake to kill. (I wonder what the odds are that they left it in the car to cook...)
Well in this situation , I would have offered them an 2006 baby for free or another 2005 baby for half the price. But when they came back they were rude, screaming and yelling at us and did nothing but make threats.
With that I told them take off.

It was a classic case of over heating the snake.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
reptilebreeder
I wouldn't have given them a refund. There is no way a snake is going to die that fast unless they killed it. Idiots probably left it in the car. I would have told them that my refund policy doesn't have an idiot waver, and that they have no business being here(expo), as they should not have any living animals under their care. I know accidents happen, I accidently killed a $50 shrimp that I had gotten for my reef tank, but the difference is I know by no standard of business ethics, morality, or common sense, was it anybody's fault but my own, and to even think one should get a refund or replacement when that happens is beyond idiotic.

I know "we" need to educate people, represent the industry, etc. which I would do if they came back and said something like "we accidently killed this" or "what happened?", I would explain what probably happened, and depending on their attitude would have probably given them a replacement, but when peope do it in the manner as described.........I'll tell them to pack sand.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
kmurphy
Quote:
I know "we" need to educate people, represent the industry, etc. which I would do if they came back and said something like "we accidently killed this" or "what happened?", I would explain what probably happened, and depending on their attitude would have probably given them a replacement, but when peope do it in the manner as described.........I'll tell them to pack sand.
Actually I agree with this more than my own post. If they had an attitude then I would have told them to take a hike.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
and to even think one should get a refund or replacement when that happens is beyond idiotic.
Just want to clarify this part of my statement, especially for the ones who have a 100% refund policy or "the customer is always right" policy. When I say to "even think one should get a refund, is beyond idiotic", I'm not talking about other posters who say they would give one, or recommend that one be given, I'm talking about the person who killed the animal, thinking and demanding that "this needs to be taken care of".

Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
I agree with Charles. The only prerrequisite for a live animal to die is just to be alive in the first place. Things happen and reptiles can die anytime. But if the animal was doing OK while in the show something odd happened between then and a few hours later. Considering it's summer, temperature could've very well been the culprit.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!