genetics question(s) that might be over my head... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
hhmoore
Perhaps the point of confusion is that albino and anery are simple recessive traits. Unlike dominant and codominant (and incomplete dominant) traits, simple recessive traits must be passed along by both parents. Only in the homozygous form do they visually express the trait. The heterozygous form looks normal (unless it is combined with something else, of course).
Hypomelanism is generally considered to be an incomplete dominant trait, and one hypo parent will pass the trait along to approx half of the offspring; so it will produce hypos in the first generation no matter what it is bred to.
Conversely, breeding an albino to an anery will not produce albinos or aneries (*or snows)....it will produce a litter of DH albino aneries (aka DH snows).
So, a snow boa is an albino anery boa - some people may use that (albino x anery) to show that it is the combination of traits; but that practice can be confusing to people that aren't comfortable with how the genetics work...leading them to think that breeding an albino to an anery will produce snows.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Stryker414
[quote=RedTailedDexter;1381990]My second question might be silly because I haven't looked into ghosts as much but if I were to pair up an albino Anrey X hypo would I get albino ghosts?QUOTE]

albino anery(snow) x hypo = approx. half hypos and half normals, all of which are 100% het for albino and 100% het for anery.

Your hypo that you're pairing with the snow has to carry the anery gene also to produce a ghost. The hypo has to carry both the albino and anery genes in order to get an albino ghost (moonglow).

I hope I didn't mess this up or confuse you more.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
RedTailedDexter
Ok, thank you everyone for your replies I THINK it is starting to click ... An albino anrey = snow but breeding an albino to an anrey will not produce snows. If I want to produce snows I need to breed two animals that already have the two genes present in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zn394 View Post
albino het anery (het snow) x anery het [i]compatible[i] albino (het snow).
So if I were to do the pairing above would I not get..... Snows, Albino Anerys het snow?, Albino Anrey, Anrey het albino.. then I am stuck would there be some DH in there? since there is Snow, albino, and Anrey... accept a snow is just an albino anrey so there wouldn't be??

Ok tell me I at least understand how to produce a snow so far lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
hhmoore
That post confused me, lol.
Snow = albino anery....so I'm not sure what you mean by albino anery het snow.
Look at post 3. In order to make a snow, both parents have to carry both traits - whether they are visibly expressed or not (homozygous, or heterozygous will both work). It doesn't matter how they are combined, as long as both parents carry both traits.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Stryker414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTailedDexter View Post
Ok, thank you everyone for your replies I THINK it is starting to click ... An albino anrey = snow but breeding an albino to an anrey will not produce snows. If I want to produce snows I need to breed two animals that already have the two genes present in them

So if I were to do the pairing above would I not get..... Snows, Albino Anerys het snow?, Albino Anrey, Anrey het albino.. then I am stuck would there be some DH in there? since there is Snow, albino, and Anrey... accept a snow is just an albino anrey so there wouldn't be??

Ok tell me I at least understand how to produce a snow so far lol.

25% Snow
25% Anery het Albino (Anery het Snow)
25% Albino het Anery (Albino het Snow)
25% Normal het Albino het Anery (DH Snow)

Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
Think of it in pairs of genes.

NN is used for Wild Type (WT) aka Normal. Since WT is a Dominant gene, the letters are Capitals. This is the only reserved letter as well. All the rest you can use what ever letter makes it easier for you.

Recessive genes are not capitalized, aa is commonly used for Albino, lets use nn for Anery. And since Hypo is Dominant to WT, we'll use HN for the Hypo (or HH if it's homozygous).

A Snow would look like this...aann

At one locus aa and nn at another locus.
An Anery het Albino would look like Nann or nnNa and an Albino het Anery would look like Nnaa or aaNn, the WT showing dominance to the two recessive mutations. Understand too that these genes are at different loci.

When pairing those two, you get nnNa x aaNn. Can you see where each parent has a similar gene to pass on to the offspring? So if these two were paired, you have the potential for...

Na Normal Het Albino
Nn Normal Het Anery
NaNn Normal het for both
aa Albino
nn Anery
aaNn Albino het Anery
nnNa Anery het Albino
aann Snow Boa.

25% probability ain't quite there in my mind.

To add the Hypo gene, you just need to add the HN to the above genes, and work out the odds from there, which will fall dramatically for hitting HNaann or Moonglow.

Unless I'm wrong of course.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
laterob
Quote:
Unless I'm wrong of course.
First time for everything, I guess, but this ain't that.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #18
hhmoore
Stryker had it right.
Starting with anery het albino and albino het anery, you would not get any single hets. Each parent is homozygous for different recessive traits..so the babies would have to get those "genes". At the minimum, the babies will be DH snow. When the (parents') hets match up, there will be homozygous babies - albino het anery, and anery het albino - and double homozygous (snows)

Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
That's what I get for trying to do that crap in my head after crunching numbers all day at work.

OK, disregard. I dropped the ball on that one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!