Visually sexing young snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Yutyrannus
Visually sexing young snakes

I have two plainbelly water snakes (Nerodia erythrogaster alta). I know they are opposite sexes but I am having some issues distinguishing which is which.

Could you tell me what you think of the pics? I think I see hemipenal bulges on one of them but again, I have my doubts and I am new to sexing. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Beyond GenetiX
Just by looking at the pictures, I would say female is top and male is bottom picture.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Yutyrannus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet76 View Post
Just by looking at the pictures, I would say female is top and male is bottom picture.
What are you going by? I'd like to know how so that I can tell the sexes of whatever babies I get next.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Pasodama
It really is not the easiest thing based on just these two pics.
By venturing a guess, I believe mine would be opposite of Jason's. I would say male, top, and female, bottom.
Reasons being is that, in the bottom pic, the tail ~appears~ to taper rather quickly. In the top pic, it does not ~appear~ to taper, as quickly, and it ~appears~ to have that slight pinch, just behind the vent, that many males have.
'Course, I could be wrong.
BTW Snakes don't have hemipenal bulges, per se.

~~~~

Old 12-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Pasodama
Am starting to second guess myself. LoL
It would be great if you could post side pics along with underbelly pics (and take underbelly pics in as close to same positions as possible).

~~~~

Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Yutyrannus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
It really is not the easiest thing based on just these two pics.
By venturing a guess, I believe mine would be opposite of Jason's. I would say male, top, and female, bottom.
Reasons being is that, in the bottom pic, the tail ~appears~ to taper rather quickly. In the top pic, it does not ~appear~ to taper, as quickly, and it ~appears~ to have that slight pinch, just behind the vent, that many males have.
'Course, I could be wrong.
BTW Snakes don't have hemipenal bulges, per se.

~~~~
You're going by the same logic I was using, lol

Old 12-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Yutyrannus
Quote:
Am starting to second guess myself. LoL
It would be great if you could post side pics along with underbelly pics (and take underbelly pics in as close to same positions as possible).

~~~~
one sec, theyre really feisty haha

Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Pasodama
This thread is making me wish I could reach in to the pics, and grab the snakes, so I could pop, or probe, them for you. LoL

~~~~

Old 12-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Yutyrannus
In the original post, top one is Ronnie, bottom is Fraug.
Here's the new pics (it's the best I could do, they only sat still for about 4 seconds until wanting to get away again)...
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
Yutyrannus
Quote:
This thread is making me wish I could reach in to the pics, and grab the snakes, so I could pop, or probe, them for you. LoL

~~~~
Haha. If only things were that easy...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!