Mississippi state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
Adamanteus
Mississippi state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.state.ms.us/

State Legislature - http://www.ls.state.ms.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.sos.state.ms.us/policy_ad...ode/index.html

Old 01-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
areptileguy
St. Louis snake ordinance

Snake ordinance what they want

Residents miffed over Bay council's slowness

By RYAN LaFONTAINE

THE SUN HERALD

BAY ST. LOUIS - Union Street residents say they're disappointed by what they consider the City Council's slow response to a dangerous animal ordinance, first proposed nearly three months ago.

After the escape and four-day disappearance of a neighbor's 17-foot Burmese python, more than 180 people signed petitions hoping the council would take action in October.

City officials said they would research other cities' policies to find a fair solution, but that they needed time to look at other options before adopting an ordinance.

During the meeting on Oct. 19, Ward 4 Councilman Bobby Compretta said, "I think we should have something prepared in about four to six weeks."

This week, city officials said they have completed a final draft of the ordinance. Public hearings on the proposed law will be scheduled when the Council meets on Jan. 18.

Helen Barnes and other chagrined residents, however, wonder whether the city has forgotten their plea for help.

"The city has not once notified us of the progress or tried to keep us up to date," Barnes said. "I feel like we are being ignored and the city is just hoping that we'll forget about it."

Old 01-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
Exactly where is Bay St. Louis? It's not in Missouri. There is no Sun Herald newspaper here.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Inside Out
It's in Miss.

Here is a link that talks about it

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...te/9967597.htm

Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Inside Out
Seems like the city officials are pretty old school after reading that article.
Even though that is about 3 months old It sounds like they need to get a herp society to educate some folks there.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
FreakOfNature66
Its seems like these days anything that is written in the regular newspaper needs some major herp help. Sometimes I feel really bad that some people are deathly afraid of snakes. Its really such a pity. I had a neighbor knock on my door and when I answered and had a small Ball Python in my hand they screamed like I was waving something hot in my hands. Poor poeple dont understand. Oh and why is the first question about the snakes "Is it poisonous?" its like cripes people I dont think it would be around my neck if it was poisonous. There needs to be a big convention to help educate the public or more the non herp community

Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
I had a similar incident with a neighbor. I had my ball python out in the living room taking pictures of him on a nice piece of driftwood. The doorbell rang. I answered it. It was my neighbor over to borrow something . . . again. She has borrowed steak knives to garden hoses and everything you can imagine inbetween.

Well she saw the snake (large adult male) and about crapped her pants. It was sooo funny. You know, she's never borrowed another thing and that was 3 years ago.

I was talking to her recently and she told me her house was broken into 3 times last year and one time an ATV was stolen. (we live waaay out of town and share a driveway) I said something like I hope nobody breaks into my house. She got this really scared look on her face and said, "No one will break into your house, you have snakes." Like they're running loose. I said yeah and now I have 18 snakes. Okay, sand boas and 2 ATBs, real scary animals, LMAO.

To her and a ton of people out there a snake is a snake and all are gonna "kill you".

Old 01-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
FreakOfNature66
Really at this point I dont see whats so scary. Even being bitten never scared me away. I credit my father for that, When you grow up around a herpotologist who has reptiles all over your pool area which was quite big you learn to love them dispite getting bitten. And even so getting bitten doesnt hurt that bad. Unless its by an aboreal(sp?) thats a different story. It saddens me to see people deathly afraid of them. I wish people would just go to one local reptile show and see how good these animals really are and the people who make them their hobby.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Aprylla
Bay St. Louis to outlaw "dangerous pets"

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...l/10686260.htm

Here is the newest story about Bay St. Louis:

Bay to outlaw dangerous pets

Don't even think of owning a hippo

By RYAN LaFONTAINE

THE SUN HERALD

BAY ST. LOUIS - Residents hope a new ordinance prohibiting owning dangerous animals has plenty of teeth.

This week, city leaders fashioned an ordinance that would regulate owning and transporting certain animals.

The proposed ordinance lists more than 100 different species that would be illegal to own in the city limits, such as hippopotamuses, giraffes, gorillas and reptiles that could potentially grow longer than eight feet.

According to the City Council's 15-page proposal, pet lovers who yearn for more than the traditional dog or cat will have to file for a "personal possession permit" to own an animal listed in the ordinance.

Personal possession applicants must be at least 18 , and have not been convicted of a felony or drug charges.

The ordinance also would make it illegal for owners to take exotic animals to public events, such as parades and festivals.

Unnerved by the escape and four-day disappearance of a neighbor's 17-foot Burmese python, Union Street residents began circulating petitions asking the city for help in October.

Nearly 200 names appeared on petitions and Mayor Eddie Favre said the ordinance would protect residents and the animals.

"None of us considered a need for an ordinance until that incident," Favre said.

Residents will have an opportunity to suggest changes in the ordinance at a public hearing at 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 15 at City Hall.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Aprylla
I live only about 25 miles from this town here in Mississippi. I can't even imagine what those "town meetings" are like. The people here in Mississippi here are generally extremely uneducated about reptiles in general. Now they're attempting to "ban" things that they don't understand.

I sure do wish they'd ban stupidity here in Mississippi, but that might mean that the state would be more like a ghost town.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!