Pet Python Kills Dog in Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Pet Python Kills Dog in Florida

Tragedy in Florida as dog is squeezed to death

A very unfortunate incident has taken place in Florida in which a Python killed a neighboring Rat Terrier by squeezing the dog.

"I keep a picture of him in my wallet," said Wayne Vassello, one of the owners of the little dog whose name was Max. "We don't have kids," he said. "That was our child. We celebrated birthdays and holidays."

Unleashing his dog as they approached their apartment complex, the dog was suddently ambushed by the 4m long Python. Vassello managed to free the dog by beating the snake with a golf club, yet the dog ran off terrified and was found dead the next day.

"She's a very friendly snake, actually," said the Python's owner, who has to cough up $1300 to the couple of the dead dog.

Link

Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
shrap
So both animals were not on a leash but the python guy had to pay?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Thumbs down What did the

dog die of if it was able to run off? Hmmmm? Probably blows from a golf club!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
So both animals were not on a leash but the python guy had to pay?
Well, the evil python was lying in wait and ambushed the poor helpless dog. That's what they do you know, vicious, souless creatures they are.

What I'd like to know is since when is a rat terrier worth $1,300?
Particularly touching was the part about carrying the photo of the dog in his wallet. Sort of like wearing the neck brace to court after the 3 mph bump at the stoplight.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Rakshasanyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Well, the evil python was lying in wait and ambushed the poor helpless dog. That's what they do you know, vicious, souless creatures they are.
If the python was slithering around loose where anybody could get access to it, then the owner deserves to get fined a whole lot more than $1,300, IMO. Imagine "I suddenly heard my two-year old grandson scream" instead of "I suddenly heard my rat terrier yelp" and you'll get some idea of where I'm going here.

It's not the python's fault that it tried to eat a small, furry animal -- that's what python's do. But the owner IS at fault for not keeping a potentially dangerous animal under control. I love big pythons as much as anyone on here, but a 4m python is quite capable of killing someone. And if you don't realize that and don't take steps to keep children and small animals away from your pet, you're no better than the idiot who lets his ill-tempered Rottweiler terrorize the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Skunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
the dog ran off terrified and was found dead the next day
Yeah, this doesnt make sense to me. If the dog escaped, then how did the python "kill" it? Bleed to death from bite wounds? Fractured rib pierced the lung?

I'd like more info on how the pooch died.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Scott Ashton
I love my dog and I love my snakes.

When I visit my sister in Florida my dog is never more than a foot or two from me and on a leash when we are outside. And we stay away from bushes/cover.

Not because of snakes - but gators.

In the last five years they have had one fatality and one amputation from an alligator on her island.

The fatality was a man walking his dog.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Skunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
The fatality was a man walking his dog.
A gator killed the man or the dog?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
A gator killed the man or the dog?
Both.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Skunky
You're kidding me?! I've always associated crocs with being dangerous, but was led to believe (erroneously so?) that gators weren'y considered a genuine threat. A danger, but not grab-me-eat-me-up dangerous.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!