Ebola epidemic - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
WebSlave
Quote:
Ebola Crisis: Prevention awareness education is the only cure

By Arthur B. Dennis August 2, 2014

In the olden days, the basic hygiene slogan inscribed on every billboard was “prevention is better than cure.” Even during the outbreak of the HIV-AIDS in 1981 when there was no vaccine to treat the disease, “Prevention” was the slogan used to contain the spread of the epidemic.

Therefore, since there are no vaccines to treat the Ebola virus, the most effective, available weapon that can be used to substantially reduce the spread of this killer disease is “Prevention Awareness Education” characterized by the following basic facts, not fears.

Ebola Definition, Origins, and Types

The official medical name for Ebola is “Ebola Virus Disease” (EVD). It is claimed that the Virus was named after the Ebola River in the Republic of Zaire, (now Democratic Republic of Congo) where it was first discovered in 1976. Later, it was officially named Ebola-Zaire.

Ebola-Zaire was discovered in fruit bats, monkeys, and Chimpanzees in Congo. It is capable of killing 90 per cent of its victims within 21-days of the incubation period. Ebola-Zaire is the deadliest killer virus in the Ebola family, largely characterized by internal bleeding and fever, for which it is nicknamed “Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever (HF).” The World Health Organization believes it is the deadly strain of the Ebola-Zaire that is spreading in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.

According to U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), the four subtypes of Ebola are described by the locations in which they were discovered. The first subtype is Ebola-Sudan, discovered in Sudan in 1976. The second is Ebola-Reston (USA), discovered in 1989 in primates. CDC says Ebola-Reston is asymptomatic and its victims are only primates. The third is Ebola Ivory Coast, discovered in 1994 in Ivory Coast. The only human victim registered on record for this virus was flown to Switzerland for treatment where he recovered. The fourth is Ebola-Bundibugyo discovered in Uganda in 2007. This strain of Ebola is also known as Ebola-Uganda.

Ebola-Sudan and Ebola-Uganda contain the strain of Ebola-Zaire Virus, which is also spreading in the Mano River Tri-State. Therefore, the focus of the remaining chapters in this article shall be on the killer Ebola-Zaire.

Means of Transmission

Ebola-Zaire is also the most contagious, infectious disease in the Ebola family. It can be transmitted from person-to-person directly and indirectly. The first direct means involves eating monkeys, fruit bats, chimpanzees, and other animals that host Ebola virus. The second direct means of transmission is through blood and bodily fluids of the symptom bearer.

The term “bodily fluids” means sweat, saliva, and semen transmitted to a healthy person through sexual contacts, kissing, and hugging by an Ebola symptom bearer. Other direct means of fluid contacts include sharing of household items such as spoons, plates, water cups, clothing, underclothes, toilet seats, bathing towels, and even bed-sharing with a symptom bearer.

Mosquito and insect bites as well as flies, mice, and cockroaches coming in contact with an Ebola symptom bearer, and also coming in contact with a healthy person have also shown to be a direct means of fluid contacts. The indirect fluid contact involves sneezing or coughing in the face of a healthy person by a symptom bearer. Contaminated equipment at health centers treating Ebola victims can also transmit virus to a healthy person.

Signs and Symptoms of Ebola-Zaire

In medical science, the term” signs” refer to a person’s strange medical condition or behavior that is visible to the public. For example, vomiting or nasal bleeding is a sign of illness. In contrast, the term “symptoms” refer to the uncomfortable inner-feeling being experienced by person, which appears to be a medical illness. For example, pains, headache, etc.

According to CDC, the primary signs and symptoms of Ebola-Zaire include but not limited to vomiting, diarrhea, headache, fever, weakness, bleeding, stomach pains, joint and muscle pains, sore throat and so on.

Precaution and Prevention

As we speak, there is no available vaccine or medication on the market to treat or cure Ebola-Zaire. Therefore, the only best medicine that will substantially contain the spread of this deadly disease is precaution and prevention. The term “precaution” means exercising the necessary care in a person’s daily interaction with the general population, especially people suspected of displaying the Ebola signs and symptoms in the family, workplace, school, and community.

In contrast, the term “prevention” means the necessary hygiene rules and measures adopted by a person or group of persons to remain safe and healthy from Ebola disease. These include but not limited to the following:

1. Family members should develop the necessary alertness required to monitor and report strange-medical related signs and behavior that resemble Ebola illness. A Suspected Ebola symptom bearer in the family should be immediately quarantined and reported to the nearby health center.

2. The household items shared by family members such as drinking cups, spoons, plates, bathrooms, bath towels, etc. should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized weekly. Visitors should be screened and monitored for Ebola signs and symptoms before sharing family household items with them.

3. Hand-washing after shaking hands with strangers should be the basic hygiene rules of the household family.

4. School authorities should also teach students the basic hygiene rules listed above so they will remain safe from the Ebola illness.

5. The World Health Organization has recommended that every community should establish a community-based surveillance and warning systems not only to identify suspected Ebola symptom bearer but also to immediately report the incident to the nearest health authorities so the suspected person can be removed from the community and quarantined for treatment.

7. Do not touch suspected dead bodies of Ebola victims. Call health workers.

6. Governments in the Tri-State should utilize Radio/ TV Simple-English as well as vernacular language programs in order to disseminate the Ebola prevention awareness message to people in the sub-region.

7. The print media as well as webmasters should donate a space to allow the public to participate in the Ebola Prevention Awareness Education forum.
Source: http://theliberiandialogue.org/2014/...the-only-cure/

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
sschind
The hot zone is one of my favorite books. Just don't try eating while reading the first part.

One of the things it points out is how difficult Ebola is to cause a pandemic IF controlled early. It works so fast and is so deadly that once a village is closed of the people die or recover very quickly and the outbreak is over. It sounds as if this outbreak is more serious however. Maybe we are dealing with a different strain. It also does points out how easy it is to spread the epidemic with air travel nowadays (think 12 monkeys). Seems like a contradiction but they key is early diagnosis and containment.

I question the decision to bring these infected Americans back to US soil. I know US hospitals have the best of everything and they deserve the best but from what I understand there is not a heck of a lot that highly advanced technology can do for these people. Granted its not as simple as take two aspirins and call me in the morning (you probably won't be alive in the morning) but it is a lot of wait and see. I would think any large hospital in any nation could accommodate the quarantine and treatment, especially if the US threw a bunch of money at it and I would think it would benefit everyone if the money that the US will spend containing these 2 citizens on American soil would be better spent developing some sort of better containment/treatment facilities closer to the source.

One of the things on my bucket list (which will never happen) is to go into a level 4 bio hazard research facility and handle some of these viruses (in their vials of course.) I've always felt our species will not be wiped out by war it will be a virus that is our undoing.

Oh, and Lucille, I never thought of the hurricane issue. Maybe not such a good idea.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
46-Year-Old Woman Hospitalized, Tested For Possible Ebola

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A local woman is being tested for the Ebola virus after a recent trip to a foreign country.

According to the Columbus Public Health Department, the 46-year-old woman is currently in isolation in a local hospital with a potential case of the Ebola virus.

The woman had recently returned from a trip to a foreign country that is affected by the Ebola virus outbreak.

She is reportedly “doing well” in her recovery.

A sample has been sent to the CDC for examination.
http://www.wkrn.com/story/26201803/4...possible-ebola

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Ebola outbreak could be much worse than thought
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-ou...-than-thought/

Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
The hot zone is one of my favorite books. Just don't try eating while reading the first part.

One of the things it points out is how difficult Ebola is to cause a pandemic IF controlled early. It works so fast and is so deadly that once a village is closed of the people die or recover very quickly and the outbreak is over. It sounds as if this outbreak is more serious however. Maybe we are dealing with a different strain. It also does points out how easy it is to spread the epidemic with air travel nowadays (think 12 monkeys). Seems like a contradiction but they key is early diagnosis and containment.

I question the decision to bring these infected Americans back to US soil. I know US hospitals have the best of everything and they deserve the best but from what I understand there is not a heck of a lot that highly advanced technology can do for these people. Granted its not as simple as take two aspirins and call me in the morning (you probably won't be alive in the morning) but it is a lot of wait and see. I would think any large hospital in any nation could accommodate the quarantine and treatment, especially if the US threw a bunch of money at it and I would think it would benefit everyone if the money that the US will spend containing these 2 citizens on American soil would be better spent developing some sort of better containment/treatment facilities closer to the source.

One of the things on my bucket list (which will never happen) is to go into a level 4 bio hazard research facility and handle some of these viruses (in their vials of course.) I've always felt our species will not be wiped out by war it will be a virus that is our undoing.

Oh, and Lucille, I never thought of the hurricane issue. Maybe not such a good idea.
Granted, I'm not even close to being any sort of medical expert, but heck, I thought that a virus, once it enters the body, is basically incurable. You can NEVER get rid of it, only suppress it. With that in mind, don't people who have become infected with ebola ALWAYS have the ebola virus within them?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Granted, I'm not even close to being any sort of medical expert, but heck, I thought that a virus, once it enters the body, is basically incurable. You can NEVER get rid of it, only suppress it. With that in mind, don't people who have become infected with ebola ALWAYS have the ebola virus within them?
if they survive, they will carry the antibodies. there is no cure for viruses, other than the human immune system.

the patient is likely suffering from hypochondria. Very common in people not affected by the virus who have traveled to areas where the virus is active. The cure is bed rest, plenty of fluids, a negative blood test, avoiding TV and newspapers...

Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
if they survive, they will carry the antibodies. there is no cure for viruses, other than the human immune system.
So they will still be carrying the virus as well? If they are bitten by a mosquito, I have to wonder how likely it would be that the virus would be picked up and transmitted to another host bitten by that mosquito. Long shot, surely. Impossible, not so surely.

So here's the question: Considering the above, would you want an ebola survivor living next to you? Yeah, I know this is walking on some real eggshell-like ground, but just because a concern might go on being unsaid because of the sensitive nature of the implications doesn't make it unfounded to think it. Particularly if you start thinking about other virus induced ailments that are quite serious.

Seriously, I think Connie and I are becoming quite the germ-a-phobes. We carry anti-bacterial hand wipes everywhere we go and cleanse our hands constantly when we are out in public. I guess we just read too much. Bad enough that many of the common pathogens are becoming resistant to ALL drugs now without the US government not understanding the concept of "quarantine" and bringing ebola purposely and knowingly into the country.

The last time I went to the doctor's office (about ear wax buildup) I was asked why I don't go to the doctor's more often for checkups. I told her "Because this is where all the sick people hang out".

Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So they will still be carrying the virus as well?
They will carry antibodies.
I have not seen studies showing whether and what percent of survivors become carriers of the actual virus.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Dennis Hultman
Bodies dumped in streets as West Africa struggles to curb Ebola

http://news.yahoo.com/bodies-dumped-...--finance.html
Quote:
Relatives of Ebola victims in Liberia defied government quarantine orders and dumped infected bodies in the streets as West African governments struggled to enforce tough measures to curb an outbreak of the virus that has killed 887 people.

In Nigeria, which recorded its first death from Ebola in late July, authorities in Lagos said eight people who came in contact with the deceased U.S. citizen Patrick Sawyer were showing signs of the deadly disease.

The outbreak was detected in March in the remote forest regions of Guinea, where the death toll is rising. In neighboring Sierra Leone and Liberia, where the outbreak is now spreading fastest, authorities deployed troops to quarantine the border areas where 70 percent of cases have been detected.

Those three countries announced a raft of tough measures last week to contain the disease, shutting schools and imposing quarantines on victim's homes, amid fears the incurable virus would overrun healthcare systems in one of the world's poorest regions.

In Liberia's ramshackle ocean-front capital Monrovia, still scarred by a 1989-2003 civil war, relatives of Ebola victims were dragging bodies onto the dirt streets rather than face quarantine, officials said.

Information Minister Lewis Brown said some people may be alarmed by regulations imposing the decontamination of victims' homes and the tracking of their friends and relatives. With less than half of those infected surviving the disease, many Africans regard Ebola isolation wards as death traps.

"They are therefore removing the bodies from their homes and are putting them out in the street. They're exposing themselves to the risk of being contaminated," Brown told Reuters. "We're asking people to please leave the bodies in their homes and we'll pick them up."

Brown said authorities had begun cremating bodies on Sunday, after local communities opposed burials in their neighborhoods, and had carried out 12 cremations on Monday. Meanwhile, in the border region of Lofa County, troops were deployed on Monday night to start isolating effected communities there.

"We hope it will not require excessive force, but we have to do whatever we can to restrict the movement of people out of affected areas," Brown said.

Finance minister Amara Konneh said the country's growth forecast for the year was no longer looking realistic as a result of the outbreak.

British Airways said it was suspending flights to and from Liberia and Sierra Leone until the end of the month due to public health concerns.

MISSIONARY DUE BACK IN UNITED STATES

A second American aid worker who contracted the Ebola virus in West Africa arrived in the United States on Tuesday in a serious condition, three days after her colleague was flown for treatment at the Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

The two saw their conditions improve by varying degrees in Liberia after they received an experimental drug developed by San Diego-based private biotech firm Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc, said a representative for Samaritan's Purse, the charity they worked for.

A New York hospital is also testing a man with symptoms of the deadly disease, though a senior medical officer there said it was probably not the deadly virus. Saudi Arabia was also testing a man for suspected Ebola infection after he returned recently from a business trip to Sierra Leone.

Concern grew over an outbreak in Lagos, Africa's largest city, after medical authorities there said they had quarantined 14 people who came into contact with Sawyer after he arrived on a regional flight from Liberia. The airline Asky has since been barred from Nigeria.

"Of the 14 who have had serious contact with the victim, eight have serious symptoms," Lagos Health Commissioner Jide Idris told a news conference. "Only one of those quarantined has tested positive ... The doctor who tested positive is now on the mainland under intensive care."

With healthcare systems in the West African nations overrun by the epidemic, the African Development Bank and World Bank said they would immediately disburse $260 million to the three countries worst affected - Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

In Monrovia, however, some health clinics were deserted as workers and patients stayed home, afraid of catching the disease.

"The health workers think that they are not protected, they don't have the requisite material to use to protect themselves against the Ebola disease," said Amos Richards, a physician's assistant.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!