New Classifieds or Old Classifieds section? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Which classifieds system do you prefer?
Old Classified as it now is (forum based) 36 22.93%
New Classifieds. 119 75.80%
Neither. 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2005, 04:15 AM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation New Classifieds or Old Classifieds section?

OK, I have been running both the new classifieds section I installed a while back along with the old system, but I don't want to run it this way forever. One of the benefits of the new system is that it addresses one of the major complaints I have heard about the old system: It puts a time limit on the life of every ad placed, and it will expire and go away after that time limit lapses. The old system, being forum based, will not do that and required me to manually go through every section and delete all of the old messages.

But I have no idea which one people prefer at this point. I am toying with the idea of having the old system restricted to only paid members being able to post ads, but leave the new system open temporarily to give people incentive to use the new system a bit more.

But in any event, a choice needs to be made and relatively soon so I can streamline the display of the classifieds sections. The non-chosen system will still be active for a while for viewing and contact info from prospective buyers, but once we shift over to the chosen system (whichever people prefer), the non-chosen one will no longer be open to accept new ads.

So let me know which you prefer. And heck, if you haven't tried the new system yet, please do so as soon as possible. If you don't try it out and don't vote on it, then the decision will be made without your input.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Bill_Leverton
Ive seen the old ,But like the idea of new one better It gets to be a pain in the butt when you reply to an ad and told I'm sorry its already been sold.. so a time limit is the way to go it may free up space here JMO

Old 02-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
ms_terese
I really like the new ones better, but I don't think most people will switch to the new ones until the old are gone. I've put duplicate ads in each forum (new and old), and the views in the old classifieds are much much higher, surely out of habit.
Quote:
But I have no idea which one people prefer at this point. I am toying with the idea of having the old system restricted to only paid members being able to post ads, but leave the new system open temporarily to give people incentive to use the new system a bit more.
Much like the change from free based to fee based, I would suggest the band-aid approach for this transition: just do it. Certainly you'd want to give 7 days' or so notice to everyone that you're going to yank the old classifieds, and give them an opportunity to put their ads up on the new forum. I agree that you might want to leave it free for the time being, so that people are encouraged to wander in and look around.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
I really like the new ones better, but I don't think most people will switch to the new ones until the old are gone. I've put duplicate ads in each forum (new and old), and the views in the old classifieds are much much higher, surely out of habit. Much like the change from free based to fee based, I would suggest the band-aid approach for this transition: just do it. Certainly you'd want to give 7 days' or so notice to everyone that you're going to yank the old classifieds, and give them an opportunity to put their ads up on the new forum. I agree that you might want to leave it free for the time being, so that people are encouraged to wander in and look around.
I agree. I don't put many ads up but I got far more hits in the old forum than in the new.

Just do it.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
I agree. I don't put many ads up but I got far more hits in the old forum than in the new.

Just do it.
Haven't placed ads in either but I did browse both and found myself in the new ones a little more lately. I like the layout. I think it will be a better bargain and hopefully will increase the classifieds use and functionality.

Bthacker

Old 02-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
brucestephenson
The new classifieds are excellent. You MUST go to this format to compete with the other sites! The photos on the ad list are a must for buyers to remain interested in browsing the forums. Good work!

Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Intense Herpetoculture
I would like to see the new system have a more easier found link, sort of like the "photo gallery" has at the top of the page.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Herpetoculture
I would like to see the new system have a more easier found link, sort of like the "photo gallery" has at the top of the page.
If it is decided to go to the new system, what I will do is make ALL of the regular links to the classifieds off of the main forum pages link directly to the new classifieds sections. All of the old forum based sections will be moved into a "Classifieds archives" and kept there until all of the ads have become so old as to be useless. Then they will just be deleted as well as the archives themselves. At some point, before the final transition, I would just shut down everyone's ability to post new ads in the old classifieds completely. That is the warning shot to go on to the new system, as now there would be no choice if you want to post classified ads.

I want to make it an orderly and painless transition as much as possible.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Karen Hulvey
An expiration date on the classifieds is a great idea. Go w/the new classified ad system.

I always check the "new posts" first and I get really ticked when someone has posted on a 2 y/o ad and it gets bumped up and you think it's a new ad that is until you check the date! Just really annoying.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
Karen Hulvey
One more thing. I LOVE THE NEW COIN MR. CULT LEADER!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!