Taming Help Desperately Needed - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #21
EMPEROR ZURG
MY SAVANNA MONITOR ACTS LIKE GODZILLAIS THE BIGGER THEY GET

[color=Lime][[font=Fixedsys]FONT=Arial Narrow]I HAVE HAD MY MONITOR FOR A WHILE NOW SINCE ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER HE WAS BORN. I VE BEEN THREW MANY CAGES AND NOW HAVE A HUGE CAGE FOR HIM SO I NO HES HAPPY AND HAS LOTS OF MOVEMENT AND THINGS FOR HIM TO CLIMB AND HIDE.I AM ABLE TO PICK HIM UP JUST 2 GET HIM OUTTA HIS CAGE BUT THEN HE GETS IRRITATED AND SCWURMS TO GET PUT DOWN AND I CAN HAND FEED HIM.I LET HIM WALK AROUND THE HOUSE SO HE WONT FEEL SO IRRITATED AND GET COMFORTABLE AROUND THE FAMILY BUT HE JUST DOESNT LIKE 2 B AROUND ANY1 AND BE PETTED(HE'S ALWAYS HISSIN AT SUM1).WHEN THEY GET BIGGER DO THEY BECOME MORE TAME.LET ME NO IF THERES ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO 2 GET HIM MORE COMFORTABLE BUT OTHER THAN THAT IVE DONE MY HOMEWORK ON MY MONITOR AND I DO ALL I CAN.MAYB HE NEEDS A HOMIE

Old 06-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Kjetil_m
Please guys.. You are actually addressing the rest of the world saying: Do not get an Iguana, because they make poor pets. They bite, they tail strike you, they run away from you and so on..

So to the thread starter.. Please don't listen to everything you hear.. They arent all that vicious at all.. You are starting of with a young Iguana right? I would say that is the best thing.. You will build experience and trust with it from birth.. Take your Iguana out of the cage when ever you can, put him on your shoulders and do your buisness around you house.

We now have three Iguanas where two are small juveniles raging only 22.5" and 20.5" from snout to tail, and a the biggest rages around 4 feet and is a proud beautiful male "I'll put some pictures in another thread." The two smallest ones gives us many laughs and are very tame. The big one still needs some work since we haven't had him since birth and he has been living in a garage for five months with the previous owner, and havent had a lot of interaction with people.

The two small ones still will put on a little fight everytime we want to take them out of the cages, but nothing big. They just want to measure some strenght Once we have a firm grip on them, they cool down and we can do what ever we want. They really make great pet's both for me, my wife and my two kids..

I do have a tip for you regarding caging.. When we first purchased an Iguana for the first time, it was a little juvenile iguana. At the same time we bought him a 30 gallon tank thinking it was enough for him. We kept him in that tank for three months, and the iguana didn't do a lot of eating during this period, and went craaaazy everytime we wanted to interact with him. Even if we just put our face outside of the cage to have a look at him he started to run about in the cage and went bananas..

We then decided to buy him a bigger cage, this time a 23*23*50 bird cage we made some work to to get it "iguana friendly" and after a week in the new inclosure we had a brand new animal..!! He totally changed he's behaviour and started to eat like never before. We could see after a month that he had gained a lot of weight and had grown a lot in lenght. So when we adopted a new juvenile iguana we had to put that one too in the old 30 gallon tank we used for the old one untill we could get a bigger one.
This time we just kept him in the 30g tank for a couple of days before we got a hold in a bigger cage to put him in. Now in those few days he stayed in the little tank, we saw the same behaviour as we had experienced before and we now understood the importance of a bigger cage.. We got him into a new bigger home made cage one and after two day's this time we again had a new animal... Unbelievable.!

So please start with the caging if you want a tame Iguana, and interact with it on a daily basis.. You won't regret it ever! They are so nice once tame..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!