My new Savanna - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
My new Savanna

Here are a couple pics of my baby. Not sure male or female yet.still very skidish and runs fast ! This is its set up for now.I will add a couple things but i read they are from the sands in Africa,so i have it looking like it.I think.
temps are around 122 hot spot and 85 cool end,not sure what the temps are in rocks under the light.He likes it there and comes out and basks.But as soon as he hers me coming through the door he runs.

Any help on the set-up would be appreciated. i will make it bigger when the time comes.He is tiny looking in this for now.
I wanted a BT but they are illegal in NY.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
chairman
From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savanna "Tropical and subtropical savannas are classified with tropical and subtropical grasslands and shrublands as the tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas, and shrublands biome. The savannas of Africa, including the Serengeti, famous for its wildlife, are typical of this type."

You can read the whole article, or perhaps use an image search feature in your favorite search engine, but the savannahs of Africa are lush green paradises for large parts of the year. Savannahs aren't deserts. Your monitor would do best with deep, sandy/loamy soil capable of holding a burrow and humidity. He'll need about 24 inches of soil as an adult. A couple hardy plants would be nice as well, grass-like plants being optimal. He'll need at least a microhabitat in the enclosure where the humidity is in excess of 80%, many monitor keepers whose monitors live longer than 5 years will suggest having a relatively large portion of the enclosure have high humidity.

Other than looking too dry, the enclosure looks good in terms of temps, water dish, hides, etc. Dump a couple bags of topsoil in there to mix with the sand and I'd say you're looking pretty good. You could also raise the basking temp to 130-150, but it is a little debatable about how hot a temp you should provide them when they're little.

If you're looking to "tame" him, try tong feeding him. Whatever you do, don't forcibly handle him. It'll probably take a couple months, but if you are patient and always let the monitor dictate the terms of your interactions, he'll willingly come over to see what you're up to. Keep in mind he'll probably never get "puppy dog tame" unless you make him obese, cold, and otherwise unhealthy. Mine is happy to come over to me when I'm in or near his enclosure, but he only tolerates handling on occasion, and once in a blue moon he'll grab some bit of me or another to see if I happen to be edible THIS time.

Enjoy the monitor, they're neat captives.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Thank you for the valuable info and link. I will read this for sure.
He does have a hide with wet moss.He has shed once and so far pretty clean shed.I didnt have to pick any off..

Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
chairman
Here's another link from someone I know of from another couple forums: http://savannahmonitor.co/

The site gives savannah monitor care a pretty even-handed overview, even on some of the more controversial topics.

Expect your monitor to be in nearly constant shed for about the next year or so... mine kept himself dirty and in shed, so getting to see him clean and vibrant was a pretty special treat.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
allreptiles1966
Thank you again Michael. I will be putting soil in there on Sat. I'll have to cook it all though. this guy is in my boa room and i dont want any issues. Or i will fill fish tanks and cover with saran wrap to cook the dirt.
I will also throw in a few plants and some type of ornamental grass.
when i get it done i will post new pics of the set up.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
allreptiles1966
Are there any diseases i should worry about from the Savi? I would hate to get my boa's sick from keeping a Savi in there.
any info on this would be great.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
allreptiles1966
So i got bags of soil for my Savanna and need to know if theres anything in it that i should worry about my little guy getting that would make him sick.
Bacteria or parsites?
Thanks guys.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
chairman
I wouldn't worry about bacteria or parasites in the soil. Pesticides and fertilizers yes, but any 'bugs' you'll introduce will probably do more good than harm. When you're dealing with the amount of dirt monitors need it is a good idea to get a biological clean-up crew in there, including worms, pill bugs, and other organisms that help consume waste.

As for your boas... I wouldn't think they could pass any diseases between the two. Your best bet would be asking on a boa specific forum to see if anyone there has heard of any issues.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
allreptiles1966
Thank you Mike.
I have not introduced the dirt yet until i find out for sure.
Thanks for taking the time.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
allreptiles1966
Savi getting quick soak

New pics of my Savi growing slowly. i hope i am doing it right. He/she only gets fed every couple days. only a pink once a month. i am feeding Dubia,meal worms and doesnt like. Tried scrambled eggs and hard boiled.Doesnt eat it.
So for the most part,it eats dubia. What other foods do you suggest
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!