Black tail cribo not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
ajhyp
Black tail cribo not eating

Hi, I have a 2019 cb black tail cribo that arrived about a week and a half ago.

I know it hasn't been too long since he came, and he might be still adjusting to the environment, but just wanted to ask for some advice.

Currently the temps on hot side reads 85, and 78 on the cold side. He has 4 hides. One hide on the hot side one on the cold side, one in the middle, and one humid hide on the hot side. I provided him with a grape wood piece and some fake plants to give him more security. He is active, and seems healthy. Always out infront of his enclosure in the early morning too.

I tried feeding him a pinky after three days arrival, and no luck. I try 3days after (As far as I know, they have a faster metabolism than most snakes, and should be fed twice a week.) and still no luck. This time I tried pinkies , silversides, fish scented pinky, and anole scented pinky. I also left all the food in his cage and left him alone for 6 hours(4pm-10pm). He didn't take anything. I tried again today, and he still wasn't interested.

Since cribos are known for their appetite, I'm starting to become worried that something might be wrong with the setup, but can't point out what.

If I'm doing something wrong, please point it out, and if you have any suggestions to get him to start feeding, please.. Anything will help.!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
yoshi0988
hey congratz on new black tail!
im pretty sure some one with more experience can comment along, but as fellow drymarchon keeper,

i would say lower the temp a little bit. hot side 80 and cool side 75.
i think 85 is too much even if it's for hot side.
they definitely don't favor the heat too much.
are you trying with F/t or live?
i had black tail baby who wouldn't take anything i offered him, only but live mice pinky.
even that, he would eat, only if im not watching or around.
some of them are just very shy especially when they are hatch-lings.
even though they are known for their appetites, they could be very hard to establish sometime.
once they get established, they should be off to go with feeding frenzy.
how big is bt's current cage?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Tmills
Cribo feeding

Hi,
Many years ago, I had some issues with a couple of hatchling blacktail cribos who would not eat rodents live or dead. After attempting pinkies and even chick parts for weeks, I thought (just for the he'll of it) to try guppies! Both individuals ate them instantly. I had to feed these for several weeks but eventually I switched them to mice by scenting. I realize this might be a bit of a fluke but you might try it.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #4
jwarren1
Too hot IMO, 70-75 MAX on cool side. Really sensitive to heat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!