Smoothies - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #91
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisebme
Personally, I'm not saying "don't breed them". I'm saying that questioning the specifics of how wise a choice it is to breed them is legitimate and responsible.
Who do you suggest I talk to about the physical characteristics? I've read the published characteristics, and they alone are enough to cause concern. If you suggest talking to breeders, I don't think that is really going to answer anyone's questions because of the financial considerations involved.
Lets be real, this isn't a scientific study where you can rely on scientists to give a neutral explanation of the risks and benefits and how best to improve the species. No one is going to invest money to determine which genetic marker has mutated to give us this particular abnormality or openly talk about what other traits might be affected by the same mutation.
Unlike genetic mutations in people, there isn't any money to determine if this is indeed a harmless expression of a natural genetic trait, so people have to make that decision based on the evidence as presented, and lets face it, this animals skin is quite fragile as expressed by the published information from the breeder.
Another fact is that some people will always be willing to spend money on what is rare or different, and other people will be more than willing to provide them with what they want. That doesn't make the discussion any less important or legitimate, not for people who love these animals.
That was perfectly put.....no way that we can know anything scientific about these animals when only the breeder is giving us the info. Of course, they're going to play these mutations up.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #92
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
The photos that were posted in this thread were not taken from any website. They were delivered via email. That email had no disclaimers of any kind. Further, no one involved has claimed that those photos belong to anyone, except of course, Vickie Dachiu.
Clarification:

The photos that were posted in this thread of the two beautiful, spikey, scaley dragons, as well as the pictures of them, belong to Whiskersmom, not Vickie Dachiu.

Sorry about that!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #93
mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
This has nothing to do with Varnyard, why bring this here?
Obviously, he's not hiding if he's posting at BD.org.
There's a thread discussing the creation of the silkbacks there, he's involved in it, if you'd like to talk to him...go there.
Here's the link http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/v...er=asc&start=0
This has plenty to do with barnyard and you know it. Any lay person that reads that thread can see it is a personal attack against Dachiu, plain and simple, because bobby got his man pride hurt. There is nothing about asking legit questions and inquiring about silkbacks or leatherbacks. It's just an all out assault steming from the adeno fiasco. Grow up...

Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #94
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
This has plenty to do with barnyard and you know it. Any lay person that reads that thread can see it is a personal attack against Dachiu, plain and simple, because bobby got his man pride hurt. There is nothing about asking legit questions and inquiring about silkbacks or leatherbacks. It's just an all out assault steming from the adeno fiasco. Grow up...
Actually, Jean, there is. He's asked several legitimate questions about silkbacks, such as what about breeding these animals, and will the normal beardie breeding activity tear their skin?

Maybe you just missed that post or something.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #95
mikey
Quote:
Actually, Jean, there is. He's asked several legitimate questions about silkbacks, such as what about breeding these animals, and will the normal beardie breeding activity tear their skin?

Maybe you just missed that post or something.
No, I think you might have mistaken that with your phone conversation with him. Don't play dumb. You know exactly what you all are doing.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #96
whiskersmom
Quote:
Grow up?!!! Me? Where the heck did that come from?

And as for Varnyard, he's not saying anything that most others are saying anyways! Why just pick on him?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #97
monkeywrench133
Quote:

Jean, if you have comments to make about Varnyard and the BOI Dachiu thread, then go make them there.

If you want to continue having a debate about the merits of breeding these silkbacks, then please continue.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #98
whiskersmom
Quote:
No, I think you might have mistaken that with your phone conversation with him. Don't play dumb. You know exactly what you all are doing.
These are attacks....and besides if Tere knows exactly what she is doing then that's more then I can say for others.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #99
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Taken from BeardedDragon.org. Please notice the name on the post. It's not mine.

Varnyard
Newbie Poster

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to chime in on this one. IMO, these animals look very frail, if someone is going to line breed or inbreed, I might add that I do not agree with this at all. But if they are going to do this, it should be done to make animals stronger. What I see in these animals are far from this.

I would also wonder about breeding these animals. I mean if they have very thin skin compared to a pinkie mouse or an eyelid, then what would the male do to the female during breeding? IMO, this is nothing more than a cruel morph. It cannot bask like a dragon needs, or breed like normal dragons do and is very frail. So where is the good in this new creation.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #100
mikey
Quote:
I was just on the phone with Bobby Hill, and he had an excellent point.

Since the skin of these silkbacks is like that of a pinkie mouse or an eyelid, how is breeding going to affect them? When regular bearded dragons breed, the male will bite the back of the neck of the female, and can be quite aggressive. If a silkback female is bred and the male bites the back of her neck, is the back of her neck going to rip open?

By the way, this topic is being discussed on another forum, as well.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/v...ic.php?t=55052
So was it from the phone call ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread