A couple of questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
SoCalHerps2
A couple of questions

Hi, one of my female tremper albinos has been egg bound for some time now, more like 3 or 4 months, and she still hasn't laid anything. She hasn't lost weight, but now i'm starting to worry about her since she doesn't eat and she hasn't laid any eggs. Now this is her first clutch so i understand that maybe she's just stressed?

I also had a question about feeding my geckos. I recently bought 4 geckos at the last show in LA. They haven't eaten since, except for the two pinkies i put in there, and i'm not sure what to do to make them eat. My others haven't eaten as well. Any insight or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ali.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHerps2
Hi, one of my female tremper albinos has been egg bound for some time now, more like 3 or 4 months, and she still hasn't laid anything. She hasn't lost weight, but now i'm starting to worry about her since she doesn't eat and she hasn't laid any eggs. Now this is her first clutch so i understand that maybe she's just stressed?

I also had a question about feeding my geckos. I recently bought 4 geckos at the last show in LA. They haven't eaten since, except for the two pinkies i put in there, and i'm not sure what to do to make them eat. My others haven't eaten as well. Any insight or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ali.

Being egg nound for 3-4 months sounds pretty severe to me, are you sure she is gravid? If so Id take her to the vet asap!!

Here is a pic of a gravid tummy that laid 2 eggs few days later

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/356/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

As for the oens not eating, what are their temps? If the temps are too low they will eat every little to nothing at all

Id also check with teh seller to see what their previous diet was, hope that helps some!

Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
[quote=codyremmyloo]Being egg nound

QUOTE]
ooops should haev been egg bound

Old 12-29-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
progeckos
By the sounds of it she’s not egg bound or even gravid but just big in the belly. Do what Wendy said and double check to see if she’s gravid.

As far as not eating make sure your husbandry is all correct with dry hides, humid hides, etc. Temperatures are very critical. If they are not correct (too cold/hot) the geckos get stressed and won’t eat. Keep them about 90 on the hot side with the mid 70s on the cool side. Temp gradients are very important so the animals can regulate their own body temps. Also don’t handle them and house individually so the stress level is reduced. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
SoCalHerp
I've seen the gecko, infact, I'm the one who gave it to him, as his first gecko. I was positive she was gravid. I saw the eggs in her. I've been doing this for about six years, so I do know what it looks like. Really, I think it's vet time.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHerp
I've seen the gecko, infact, I'm the one who gave it to him, as his first gecko. I was positive she was gravid. I saw the eggs in her. I've been doing this for about six years, so I do know what it looks like. Really, I think it's vet time.

Vet time for sure if she has been egg bound for 3 months, sorry Ali is having a problem with her and hope she gets well soon!

Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
riverjop
Well that would surly solve the "why is she not eating problem" for the gravid one.
As for the others when they get fed pinky's sometimes mine won't eat anything else for awhile, its like there either not hungry for a period or there spoiled and want only pinky's....mine have always gotten over it and continued to eat mealies.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
gravid

I have seen this occur on a few occasions, where the female carries eggs for several months. These eggs are actually very large, infertile, yolk-filled follicles that will usually either be reabsorbed, or laid when the female begins to ovulate again. You shouldn't worry unlkess your girl stops eating for a long period of time and/or loses a significant amount of weight, and shows outward symptoms of being sick or in pain.

Occasionally, this condition can be a result of uterine inertia where the uterus cannot expel the eggs... as well as becoming life-threatenting if it turns out to be follicular stasis, where the eggs begin to become septic.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
progeckos
Wow Marcia! You are good with medical issues. You should become a vet…

Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #10
mmfrankford
I thought last year that my female leo Daisy was gravid and eggbound. She had layed a previous clutch and it looked like you could see another clutch through her belly. I ran her to the vet. Well it wasn't eggs, it is fat deposits.
(Where don't leos store fat?)
Just a possibility. Definitely take her to the vet. Hope your leo is OK.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!