Questioning Chris Steele auction on ReptiBid - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Traci1
Questioning Chris Steele auction on ReptiBid

I did not take the time to look for rules about posting links so I will not do that here. However here is the Q&A that has been posted so far on an auction for a "0.1 MOTLEY ANERY CORN ADULT" on ReptiBid, seller is Chris Steele. Auction # 1082691758
The bold type is what was posted by me, Traci.

Question about this item from (buyer): Tsthompson
Post on: Fri Apr 09, 10:36 AM
How long have you owned? Was she cooled?

Response on this item from (seller): Chrissteelee
Post on: Fri Apr 09, 03:56 PM
I have had it over two months and as far as I know (I was told) it was cooled.

Sorry for taking so long JMW17, the companies rate calculator was down. It should end up being $32 from here to 43055.

Question about this item from (buyer): Traci1
Post on: Sat Apr 10, 05:41 AM
I sold that snake the beginning of March, it was in my care since mid 2003 (maybe a bit longer) I had originally purchased it from Blue Ribbon Herps as a Male. Are you sure it's a female? (I never checked myself) It was NOT cooled while in my care.

Post on: Sat Apr 10, 09:21 AM
I bought this snake in mid February from a breeder that I have never delt with before. James Pincon. I have not sexed her, but she was sold to me as female. She must be a different snake though, since I have had her since before you sold your Motley Anery and I doubt Blue Ribbon Herps would sex her incorrectly.

Post on: Sat Apr 10, 10:17 AM
that is the same snake I had, I have pictures to prove it. I see you have some of the other 9 I sold to Jason in KY as well. I have pictures and the markings match up exact. I just want people to have the right info if they are going to bid.

Post on: Sat Apr 10, 02:41 PM
Actually my cousin owns the Motley Anery that I got from Jason and yes they are very similar. Now you have jeopardized my auction, possibly stopped the bidding, and lowered the level of trust here. The mature, moral thing to have done would have been to email me. We could have discussed it there before you posted here. I get my herps from a variety of people, national and local. But yes, this Corn is Very similar to the one from Jason. Sadly, my cousin has no interest in keeping more than one or breeding snakes. As for me, I have no interest in breeding Motley Anery Corns although they are definately a wonderful morph. Anything else, please email me. DlunaMticsX@hotmail.com Thanks.

Post on: Sat Apr 10, 02:50 PM
By the way, I do understand and fully appreciate your concern here. Although posting this before consulting me is wrong, there is no way I can prove I am truthful and no way for you to prove that I am not being truthful. This leaves the possible bidders thinking, "...hmmm there is a chance this guy may be using some chicanery."

Now, say I am telling the truth. No one knows for sure I am and are now probably very doubtful. You've probably cut my bids in half.

Post on: Sat Apr 10, 04:50 PM
You are right this was the wrong place for me to post this, I'm sorry. I should have posted it on the BOI. There I can post my picture and bidders can judge for themselves. You don't find people much more honest than I, and I have nothing to gain by "jeopardizing" your auction. I know that is the same animal I sold to Jason, as well as a few others you have / had on ReptiBid. If I felt you were possibly misrepresenting the other ones I'd say something about that too. At the same time if you wanted more info on them so you could pass it along to your buyers I would do that too.

Here is MY (Traci) picture of that snake while it was in my care.
I am a good honest person, and I would not try to "start something" with someone for no reason nor would I post this if I didn't feel strongly about it.

Traci Engle

Old 04-10-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
RTBoas
don't do it!!!

Dont buy boas on Repibid period

Old 04-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
DAND
Traci,

Looks like you have a good case. It looks to me like that the two pictures are of the same snake. The patterns match up on your picture of his snake.

Old 04-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
Suncoast Herpetological
Actually I would say that the pics on the auction site are of poor enough quality thatif the only thing you have based this post on is a comparison of your photo to those photos you are pretty thin on evidence. If Chris is inclined to post a decent shoy of the underside of the tail we can put the gender issue to rest pretty easily.

Old 04-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
Chris Steele
John, I will get some good underside photos up Monday. Its late and I will be gone all day sunday.

Here is a snake with the exact same pattern, just darker. Lots of snakes look the same Traci. All in the same morph of corn you could have lots that look identical and some that look as if they aren't even the same morph.

http://www.mohrsnakes.com/Collection/motanerym.JPG

Old 04-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
Traci1
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Steele
Here is a snake with the exact same pattern, just darker. Lots of snakes look the same Traci. All in the same morph of corn you could have lots that look identical and some that look as if they aren't even the same morph.

http://www.mohrsnakes.com/Collection/motanerym.JPG
Chris, in my opinion the snake in that picture (or the way it appears in that picture) does not look like the one I'm referring to. Not only does it appear darker as you mentioned but the pattern does not look exactly the same to me. You are right, lots of snakes look alike. For example I probably could not tell one type of boa from another because I do not work with them. HOWEVER, I am quite familiar with the similarties and differences between corn snakes - especially the ones that I have cared for. I often refer to them as living artwork and quite frequently study their colors and patterns as I handle them.

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schmitt
if the only thing you have based this post on is a comparison of your photo to those photos you are pretty thin on evidence.
John, that is not the only thing I am going by - I am also going by the fact that along with this snake Chris has / had other snakes on ReptiBid that I sold to Jason in KY along with the Anery Motley.

Which brings up another point that potential buyers should consider - (someone just emailed me privately about this point)
These snakes (the ones I sold to Jason) have already changed hands two times since the beginning of March. Once they leave Chris's hands that's three times. Now I'm not naive enough to think that every one who buys snakes is buying them to keep for themselves forever. (I obviously didn't) I realize that some people out there are just in this to buy and sell. However I had them since at least mid 2003, I did not buy them and then turn around and sell them right away. Just something to keep in mind.

Traci Engle

Old 04-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
jefjen
Traci,
i fail to see the relevance in your statement about the snakes changing hands several times..
If all the people that have had them since they left you, took good care of them,((which by the pics, it looks as if they did)), who cares how many times they have changed hands???
It seems to me as if you are purposely trying to sabotage Chris's auction..
I mean think about it;;;;
First you post on Repti-Bid saying that the anery is DEFINATELY YOUR SNAKE YOU SOLD TO JASON IN KY!!!
Then,, you come on here and say the same..
THEN;; you say,,"well, it doesn't really look like it,,I GUESS!!"

THEN,, you come with the comment,(((( after the pics prove it wasnt your snake to begin with)))), about how many times the snake has changed hands..
TECHNICALLY,,,, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY TIMES THAT ANERY HAS CHANGED HANDS...
Why???????
Because,by your own admission, it isnt the same snake you sold to "Jason in KY"..
Chris,,, are you sure you dont know who the person is???
It sounds as if she has a bone to pick with you..

Traci,,, my advice to you;;; If you see something that you dont think looks right,, email that person and find out ALL THE DETAILS,, before you start ruining someone's reputation..
Jeff

Old 04-11-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
Sasheena
Um... I thought she said that the snake that Chris posted that was LIKE the one he had for sale was definately NOT the snake ....

From what I understand:

She posted on reptibid, then here that it was once her snake

Chris posted a picture of an anery like the one he had, to prove they all look similar

She said it wasn't her snake and stated that she knew what her snake looked like.

As far as her other comments etc.... I don't know about that, but that is how I interpret the interaction thus far.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:41 AM   #9
jefjen
oops

Sasheena,
you are absolutely correct.. I had read John's post about putting a pic on here.. And mis-construed the whole post...
I apoligize Traci..
I do however, think you should have emailed Chris first, and, i still dis-agree with your comment about the snake changing hands so many times..

Once again, please accept my apoligies for jumping the gun Traci..
And Sasheena, Thank you for pointing that fact out to me..
Hey, its late...LOL
Sorry Traci...

Old 04-11-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
dwedeking
Whatever happened to professional courtesy or just plain courtesy? This industry has a poor reputation among other industries and it is because of actions such as this. I was talking to an advertising agency last week and his impression of our industry is that we're greedy cut-throats that would ruin our own businesses if it meant we could get a shot in on our competitors. (sorry about the OT rant)

Why didn't you email Chris privately that you thought the snake was from you originally and that there was some misinformation in his ad? Seems to me your intent was not to fix the situation for Chris, but rather to publically attempt to humiliate him.

Chris states in his ad, he was told it was cooled (thereby not giving a guarantee on that point). I don't know why Chris didn't sex the animal (I would if my name was on it just to be safe) but that seems more of a error in judgement rather than a "bad guy" action (unless it was done deliberate, and you went on the attack before it was known if it was deliberate or not).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!