Info Mike @ Outback Reptiles - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #71
hhmoore
Maybe he bought it, or the name, from Ian?

Mike, care to shed some light on this?

Old 07-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #72
hhmoore
http://outbackreptiles.com/crew/
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #73
gracie
Wait a minute. Is this REALLY something that warranted a BOI report? This just seems a little....I dunno, petty. Customer orders snake online. Pays. Company realizes a mistake was made, issues a prompt refund and a discount off future purchases (which most companies wouldn't even consider), case closed. I'm not going through 8 pages of bickering so haven't the foggiest whats transpired here in this thread and am only speaking of the actual issue that had taken place.

There was no theft. No arguing or beating around the bush about refunds. The problem was handled promptly and responsibly. To ad a stain to someones reputation because you're irritated seems a bit childish and they made a simple mistake about a 50 dollar corn snake......

I've only had good dealings with Outback (99% of which were with Ian and in person at expos, which he does MANY MANY of and is quite busy consequently).

Large companies will occasionally have very small slip ups like this but many do not handle them as well as this one here. This should be an "Oh well, glad I got my money back, thankyou for taking responsibility for making a mistake" situation. Not a go cry about it on the BOI one....

Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #74
gracie
Skimmed the first few pages and holy crap, lol, I give you credit Mike for being able to keep your cool through that....

Not to often you see a company handle a situation as well as this, completely and openly take full responsibility and STILL somehow end up with 8 pages of folks yelling at them for not being 100% perfect 100% of the time, that's incredible...

Old 07-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #75
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoBlueTongues View Post
Wait a minute. Is this REALLY something that warranted a BOI report? This just seems a little....I dunno, petty. Customer orders snake online. Pays. Company realizes a mistake was made, issues a prompt refund and a discount off future purchases (which most companies wouldn't even consider), case closed. I'm not going through 8 pages of bickering so haven't the foggiest whats transpired here in this thread and am only speaking of the actual issue that had taken place.

There was no theft. No arguing or beating around the bush about refunds. The problem was handled promptly and responsibly. To ad a stain to someones reputation because you're irritated seems a bit childish and they made a simple mistake about a 50 dollar corn snake......

I've only had good dealings with Outback (99% of which were with Ian and in person at expos, which he does MANY MANY of and is quite busy consequently).

Large companies will occasionally have very small slip ups like this but many do not handle them as well as this one here. This should be an "Oh well, glad I got my money back, thankyou for taking responsibility for making a mistake" situation. Not a go cry about it on the BOI one....

Regardless of what you think, everyone is entitled to post their experiences with anyone or company they do business with. The OP did NOT label this as a BAD GUY thread, it is an INFO thread.

There were no expectations of a different outcome than the one that was received.

You may want to read the whole thread before commenting or risk looking petty yourself (for your unnecessary comment about how it isn't BOI worthy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #76
gracie
Well sure its labled an "info thread", but in all reality, posts here are never just that. That will either positively paint a person or company or negatively, there really isn't actually any inbetween. If a person comes here and sees this it is doubtful they will say to themselves "Okay, I saw that thread but I will not take it nto account when forming my own opinion about said company because it was labled "info"".

It just seems pointless, unless the desired effect was to hurt the seller. I'm in no way saying Mike and/or outback are perfect, no one is, but this particular situation had as good an ending as could be expected. It was a mistake that was handled the way it should have been, no one was robbed or lied to. But this post, regardless of what label it was given, is obviously a negative one towards Mike and Outback, when there isn't really just cause to give a negative response.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #77
AllisonLeigh
Not necessarily. I wouldn't be concerned ordering from Mike. If I were to order I now know it may be best to call the store to confirm availability first, if I am concerned about a shipping date being for sure. No one did anything wrong in this situation, but it's a review/experience the customer can benefit from knowing about.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #78
DollysMom
Is it just me, or does anyone else think this has morphed into shooting the messenger, albeit politely enough?

This thread would have ended long ago but the OP, who did nothing wrong except to buy a snake that was sold to someone else, and to honor a mutually agreed upon delivery date by awaiting shipment at the agreed to address, is being grilled up one side and down the other. She's now being told, again, she shouldn't even have posted because of assumptions others may make.

Also, maybe not everyone reads whole BOI threads, but I do. I've seen threads labeled bad guy where the evidence or lack thereof, quickly make it clear there is no bad guy in that case. I may not have many posts here but I have hours and hours of lurking and reading.

The OP even asked advice from a respected member before posting this info thread. Happily, I don't think you who are turning it on her will deter her from posting in the future, but what effect it may have on others is unknown.

When people are afraid to post BOI threads, good, bad, question, or info, the BOI loses its purpose.

For fear of going too much into policy and not this specific case I'll not comment on the purpose of the BOI and the validity of this info thread further, here.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #79
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Well sure its labled an "info thread", but in all reality, posts here are never just that. That will either positively paint a person or company or negatively, there really isn't actually any inbetween. If a person comes here and sees this it is doubtful they will say to themselves "Okay, I saw that thread but I will not take it nto account when forming my own opinion about said company because it was labled "info"".

It just seems pointless, unless the desired effect was to hurt the seller. I'm in no way saying Mike and/or outback are perfect, no one is, but this particular situation had as good an ending as could be expected. It was a mistake that was handled the way it should have been, no one was robbed or lied to. But this post, regardless of what label it was given, is obviously a negative one towards Mike and Outback, when there isn't really just cause to give a negative response.

Oh, you are one of those who read titles and move on.

Questioning the OP about her reason for posting is why more people don't post …

I've read the whole thread.

I've come away from this learning several things.

1) Mike is fallible, like everyone.
2) He admits his mistakes.
3) He refunds quickly.
4) He can be a little testy/snarky, etc.

If Outback had something I wanted, I would order from them.

I appreciate the OPs post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #80
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:

People are supposed to form opinions based on as much information as they can gather. If people want to skip or haphazardly skim, they are making themselves situationally illiterate. This medium for information exchange is written/typed, so choosing to be literate is kind of, you know, key to constructing an informed opinion. As for being either/or (strictly dichotomous) for info threads, that is untrue. Plenty of mid-spectrum mixed experiences with both good and bad aspects to experiences may be (and often are) included in an info-titled thread. It is up to us as readers to invest our time in gaining the knowledge to determine where we fall on such things.

The OP has made it clear for those not skimming that it is the normal procedure for the OP to aim to create a BOI thread or post (good/bad/info as applicable) for each transaction the OP has engaged in. Standard practice for the OP.

If you think this situation had a good ending and casts the selling party here in a positive light, then the thread is not negative to you regardless of your perception of the intention and speaks positively of the outcome.

The things I did like:

Admission of the mistake and rapid refunding. After the mistake, it really was all I would expect from a good businessman. I liked the future discount offer as well. That was a matter of good will. For clarity due to this having been disputed as being effectively meager, he said 10% off of any future order. Not only of a relatively inexpensive order. That can be very significant or very insignificant depending on what one's order total comes to and could easily range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars.

The things I did not like:

The response (with photo of the pizza box) after the pizza offer was rejected and the matter was brought here in an info thread format (so part of post number five of this thread). There really was no need for that and could not have resulted in a positive impression for the person it was intended to affect. The offer itself was a little different (unusual), but I will give that offer itself the benefit of the doubt. I have done business with Mike before and I was perfectly happy with my experience. If the pizza photo nonsense was posted in response to my rejection of an offered pizza over an imperfect experience I could have had, I doubt I would perceive that as professional or decent. The deal for the OP turned a touch sour, so no need to add some sting to it as well.

---------------------------------

Side matter that has been brought up - I have had more than a few instances with various sellers where I had to ask for the tracking information in the late evening on the day of shipment and only received a response with that information on the morning slated for arrival. With the weather being what it was, it could have resulted in death for the animals if I had not elected to wait at that point. Updates in the system are not flawless and errors do get made. I have had things delivered to the incorrect house. I have had a hold-at-hub/facility selection ignored. This can and does happen (albeit rarely). I do generally select a hold-at-hub delivery these days for the safety that comes with it, as my "new" local delivery route is very rural and often delayed with many of those delays occurring in rather hot weather due to the climate in my region. If I did not receive adequate and timely communication after a shipment date had been scheduled, I absolutely would have waited if it was supposed to be delivered to my home. A person can drop off packages or have a pickup performed and then have an issue preventing communication. I was smashed into by another vehicle right after dropping off an outbound package in 2015 and, had the accident been worse, I might have been incapacitated without having yet forwarded the recipient the tracking link (which I tend to do right before or soon after I hand over the package). Since I know these things can happen, I will favor avoiding the potential risk to the animal's health and life and wait if I am expecting a delivery at home for which communication has been insufficient. Is that my choice? Yes. Would I have had to make that choice for a non-delivery if I had been properly informed? No. The wasted day or morning has a precipitating event here.

All of that said, Mike apologized multiple times after admitting the error, refunded promptly, and offered some compensatory bonuses that could be seen as above-and-beyond action by some people (and perhaps not by others).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!