How is this enclosure for a bearded dragon? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
dragonchick88
Question How is this enclosure for a bearded dragon?

I have a 15" long 290 gram bearded dragon female that I am getting a custom cage for thing is...I dont know if this size enclosure would do for her..here is a picture of it..its at ptgeckos.com...THEY SELL SOME AWESOME LOOKING CAGES SO IF YOU WANT A KOOL CAGE AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE GO THERE AND CHECK THEM OUT!! Its got a screen top and tiles as the bottom. It measures 12" high x 25.5" wide x 37.5" long. Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
dragonchick88
here is what the sides look like...
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
bruce1420
Thumbs up

IMO that's not only an awesome looking cage, but also plenty of room for your dragon.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
prodigy9618
My only concern is with how tall it is. 12" in my opionion is not tall enough. Beardies like to climb and it also might be hard to keep the temps low enough with the basking bulb being so close. Other then that sounds great, maybe they have something close thats about 18" tall

Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
dragonchick88
Actually they do have a 18" high one, I was debating on getting that one or getting the 12" one instead..guess I will go ahead and get the 18" one. Yea they r kool cages especially with the sides on them liek that..go to their website and you will find ALL kinds of cutouts not just the bearded dragon one but an iguana one, geckos, tumbleweeds, plants, just different kinds PLUS THEY ARE AFFORDABLE!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
Rebel Dragons
They are very cool looking and I love the dragon cutouts. My only concern would be lighting. Where do you put the lighting? Can't put it on top, side or bottom. So that means you have to put the lighting on the inside. With the cage only being 12" high it won't work out. Let's say you have the slim fixture which is about 1" and then add a lightbulb, which would be another 5-6". That would place your bulb approx 6" from the bottom. You going to cook your dragon even with a low watt bulb. Even the 18" high one would be pushing it. Having the light fixtures on the inside of the enclosure requires at least 24" height and 48" width to get proper heating for both the hot and cool ends of the enclosure.

Also, the plexiglass sliding doors will get scratched beyond belief.

I am in no way putting down his design because I think it's totally awesome. I just think that it could be tweaked a little bit. It has a ton of potential!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
clarinet45
IMHO, it's a little small, but doable for a 15" dragon. 48" long and 18" wide is the mininium, and that's kinda small. I prefer 48-72" long and 24" wide and 18" high or higher for my MVB tanks. Is your dragon older and not going to grow?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
bruce1420
Hey Rebel, go check out the site. You have several options of cut-outs for the top, but I agree if you are getting one of those cages it wouldn't be a good idea to get one without any cut-outs.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Rebel Dragons
I went and checked out the entire site this morning. I had no idea he had so many custom choices!!! I like seeing that he has the larger dimensions available too. With the proper dimensions and overhead lighting the cages should work out fine.

Anyone who gets one, let us know how they work out.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
number1steakfan
i checked his site prices are pretty good but why don't you save money and build on yourself or have someone build it for you if you want the bd hole just print out a template rough cut with a jigsaw and finish with router

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!