Green Cheek Conure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
clv912
Green Cheek Conure

Hello all. I just received a Green Cheek Conure on saturday from a family member who no longer wanted him. Was just wondering if anyone has any pointers on here about Green Cheeks or if anyone has one. He is cage aggressive, but is better once he comes out. Unfortunately he was not handled a lot and is a little nippy but is already improving. Took him today and got his nails and wings clipped. I hope that he does well and can turn around.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
mmdragons
Green cheeks are great small birds and are often mild temperd and often more quiet than other speices of conure like sun and jenday, Do you have any specific questions?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
clv912
Well like I said I just received him on Saturday and he was not handled much for the last 3 years. He is very cage aggressive, any tips for that? He does not want to come out at all and will bite at you. If I leave the door open he will then come out and then I can get him. Any suggestions on food? I noticed the bag that my cousin was using says large breed conure and I know he is not a large breed conure. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
mmdragons
Cage aggresstion can be hard for some birds because the see it as there homes, I personally would just allow him to come out first, I know a Macaw who is cage aggressive, but he is a sweet heart out of his cage. If he becomes used to you he should get over it. This may include your issue because he wasn't handled which is usually why this starts. As far as food I would go with a mainly pelleted diet supplemented with fresh veggies and some fruits if he like them, seeds are bad for most birds and the only birds that really need it are cockitiels (spelling?). Zupreem I know is a good one ( I get my food from a rescue I work at which they make themselves). I hope this helps?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Shadera
Greencheeks are awesome little birds. I've had one for about 5 years and she rules the roost.

Nippy is a general greencheek trait. Sure, there are exceptions to that (mostly babies..), but as a rule they're pinchy little birds with very subtle warnings. Often it's beak first, figure out what you did to cheese me off later.

They are quieter than Aratinga conures like suns and jendays, but can still belt one out when they want to.

As for the cage aggressive thing, we do the same with Kizzy that you are doing. She willingly scurries out of her cage onto the open door, so we luckily don't have to stick hands into the shark cage. Just be patient and forgive him his crabbiness when he has his moments.

They love toys, and are little busybodies. Soft wood like balsa is a favorite here. As above, a pelleted diet supplemented by fresh foods and a few treats is healthiest. Zupreem isn't the best pellet out there because of the sugar and added coloring, but it's better than no pellet at all and is generally loved by most birds above the natural pellets. I have a 10 pound bag of Zupreem fruity in a size that'd be good for your guy. If you're comfortable sending your address to me via PM, I will ship it out to you free of charge for you to try. For fresh foods, the seven layer salad is awesome and contains a bit of everything. http://www.aviannetwork.com/articles/salad.htm
My birds love rooting through it. Sprouts are wonderful too, but not everyone has the time to do those.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
clv912
Magickal Morphs thank you so much for all of the info I really appreciate it. I definitely dont mind waiting for him to come out thats ok and I dont mind givign him time at all. I think he is doing great right now especially for coming to a new house and a new owner. I will also send you a PM. Thanks again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!