Flowerback Boxies/ Mating rituals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #1
John316
Flowerback Boxies/ Mating rituals

Hopefully egg/hatchling pictures will follow in the months to come LOL!!

Old 12-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Vince
sweet boxies, did you find them in your area?

Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
John316
I wish!!
These are Cuora Galbinifrons aka Flowerback Box Turtles. They are native to Asia.
John316

Old 12-28-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Vince
ohhhh i see, im not big into boxies even though I keep a pair I resuced , one was run over by a lawnmower, and one a neighbors dog was useing as a chew toy and at 2 of his feet where chewed off. well they are a 1.1 florida boxies and I have bred them and now have 2 babies. arent there flower box turtles in the US? those are probly expencive if they come from asia, mind telling me how much you paid?

Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Vince
well ether way , those boxies rock. I am thinking about getting a pair of another speices of box turtles, know any good webpages I could check out?

Old 12-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
John316
Vince,
I honestly don't know what they would cost as they are rarely if ever commercially available within the U.S.. Mine were given to me by a group who specializes in Asian turtle/tortoise conservation.
Congrats on your success with the boxies and I wish you the best with the hatchlings. If you are thinking of going with one of the "exotic Box Turtles" you may want to consider acquiring C.B.B. Cuora Flavomarginata aka Chinese Box Turtle. They are personable, hardy (provided they are captive born), not too big and not to expensive.
John316

Old 12-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Vince
gems over here and probly dinner over there, do you think any speices are harder then others to breed? I really like the florida boxies but I would never think of takeing a heathy animal out of the wild. so im thinking maybe just some ornates? I have seen adult box turtles from asia for like 25 bucks, do you know what kind those are?

Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
John316
Vince,
They are called Cuora Amboinensis aka Malayan Box Turtle.
Unfortunately the low cost pretty much sums up how well the animals typically do unless given a thorough vet examination along with treatment of parasites and viral/bacterial infections that may be present.
Honestly I would steer clear of any of the Asians that are W.C. simply because they are well known to be problematic. Ornates are nice as are the Easterns. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them since you have experience with their Floridian cousin.
John316

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!