How do I keep my crested's cool in the summer? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
ScalesandTails
How do I keep my crested's cool in the summer?

I need to find a way to keep my crested's cool in the California heat, I have no a/c system and insulation sucks. One summer it got to 107F in my house!!! I was going to locate them into my closet but I have to see how hot it gets in there first.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Pasodama
If you have a basement, you could try keeping your cresties there.
Another option would be to invest in a window AC unit. You can get some of those units rather cheap.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
ScalesandTails
Yeah, in California there's almost no basements. I was thinking of using a window ac unit but have no idea how much that would cost to run?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Magic
Costs really differ depending on things like location of the unit, the size of the room, if it's energy star rated, etc.

From a long time breeder of cresties: it ain't cheap. It's 100% necessary though.

Please please figure out how to keep them cool now! Don't wait until spring. If you can't, you need to give them up. There have been several breeders just last year that have lost entire collections due to heat. A/c units failing have killed thousands of dollars of cresteds all over the country and one breeder in Canada lost over 200 geckos because for the first time since they started breeding their temps hit 90 last summer. (Grr, climate change) They had no way of cooling and sadly many of their sticky toes died

I really urge you to see if you can financially afford to cool your cresteds. The bearded breeders think we get off easy because we don't buy UVA/UVB bulbs left and right, but we make up for it keeping our stickies cool in the summer.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
ScalesandTails
I did find a way to keep my reptile room cool, my friend gave me a portable ac that's never been used http://www.target.com/p/haier-14-000...lot=large_1_12. I think this will work great because I can program the temp and when to turn on and off, plus the reptile room is only 100 sq ft and this cools up to 800.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!