Bad Guy Feenix Reptiles - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #41
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Stop being so defensive. You are not stupid at all. But you are (and good for you) being honest about your lack of knowledge in certain areas.
Husbandry comments are made both to help you, and are also relevant in searching for possible sources of your mites so that in the future you can avoid getting them again.

I do not want to get too far afield on the subject of quarantine, but if you did not see mites on this snake at first, it is possible that your other snake does have them.
especially if she's using store bought bedding, she wouldn't notice it till there's an infestation because of the dark woods and such, mites are barely on the animal itself until they need to feed.

I recommend putting both snakes on paper towel and treat for mites. you will see them on paper towel and be able to judge when they're gone, but when you don't see any, treat another time or 2 just to be sure, reinfestations do happen because they look like they're gone but a few eggs survived

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #42
BlueCrowned
That's what I'm doing yeah. I've been treating with reptile relief, and I switched to paper towels as soon as I realized that she had mites and had time to clean the cage (the next day after I got her home). PAM should arrive in the mail today and we're going to get this taken care of. I did notice them right away so the bedding didn't have anything to do with whether i did/didn't notice (but I use aspen which is light, fwiw).

To Feenix-- I apologize for my hasty reaction. I understand the mites may not have come from your booth necessarily. I took several good photos of her at the show where no mites are visible, and probably should have reviewed those before posting. I did stop by your booth again after picking her up so I would still keep an eye on your collection if I were you.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #43
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
That's what I'm doing yeah. I've been treating with reptile relief, and I switched to paper towels as soon as I realized that she had mites and had time to clean the cage (the next day after I got her home). PAM should arrive in the mail today and we're going to get this taken care of. I did notice them right away so the bedding didn't have anything to do with whether i did/didn't notice (but I use aspen which is light, fwiw).

To Feenix-- I apologize for my hasty reaction. I understand the mites may not have come from your booth necessarily. I took several good photos of her at the show where no mites are visible, and probably should have reviewed those before posting. I did stop by your booth again after picking her up so I would still keep an eye on your collection if I were you.

Thanks.
treat your other one anyways. just to be safe. they travel and can be transported on your clothes to the other snake if you're not doing a strict quarantine.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #44
BlueCrowned
I am treating all three of my enclosures (I also have a gecko). I don't have a way to do a perfect quarantine so it's a necessity since they are in the same room, even if I have been taking precautions between enclosures (changing clothes, washing hands).

Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #45
ElexisC
Quote:
I am treating all three of my enclosures (I also have a gecko). I don't have a way to do a perfect quarantine so it's a necessity since they are in the same room, even if I have been taking precautions between enclosures (changing clothes, washing hands).
the gecko I think would be ok? not sure if snake mites would go after them or not, but that's good to hear you're taking those recautions. having hand sanitizer on hand is also a good idea, rub it up to your elbows between each cage.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #46
ElexisC
I have no idea why my phone hates me today. * precautions.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #47
BlueCrowned
I'm not sure about the gecko, I've heard different things so I'm going to PAM his cage just in case.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #48
ElexisC
Quote:
I'm not sure about the gecko, I've heard different things so I'm going to PAM his cage just in case.
Make sure the animals are in a completely different room, as well as water dishes. spray the cages and open a window in that room, shut the door, and wait like an hour. put paper towel in the cages and spray it on that and the corners, around the outside of the cage etc. do that again in 2 weeks and it should be taken care of. do not put the water dishes back in till the next day to be safe.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #49
Lucille
I think further discussions of these methods could be taken to the discussion forums.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #50
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think further discussions of these methods could be taken to the discussion forums.
if she has any questions she can message me and we can walk her through it. I just wanted to get that out there quickly because she said she was getting it in today. if she wants to discuss it further she can message me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!