"Dwarf" King Cobras - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
psilocybe
"Dwarf" King Cobras

I was recently browsing KS venomous classifieds, and ERJ has an ad up there, that among many other very cool snakes (King Browns, Eastern Browns), has "dwarf" king cobras for sale...supposedly an island form that doesn't grow larger than 10ft...but the most amazing claim of all was that this form was primarily a rodent eater in the wild!

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this variety of O. hannah (I know Ophiophagus is in the process of being divided into more than one species), and has any further information on them (like exactly what island[s] they are from).

Here's a pic of the "dwarf" from the ad:

Old 07-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
psilocybe
Sorry, here's the pic

Pic:
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
snakegetters
I wouldn't be too surprised to hear about an island form that didn't get that large. I also wouldn't be too surprised if a neonate from that population got a lot bigger than its parents, given unlimited food throughout its lifetime. There is a population of dwarf crocs that is currently being studied. Opinions are about evenly divided on whether the animals remain small because of a scarcity of resources or whether their size is really genetic as opposed to environmental.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally posted by snakegetters
I wouldn't be too surprised to hear about an island form that didn't get that large. I also wouldn't be too surprised if a neonate from that population got a lot bigger than its parents, given unlimited food throughout its lifetime. There is a population of dwarf crocs that is currently being studied. Opinions are about evenly divided on whether the animals remain small because of a scarcity of resources or whether their size is really genetic as opposed to environmental.
It wasn't so much the size that caught my eye, than the claim that they are primarily RODENT FEEDERS in the wild!

Old 07-09-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
COBRAMAN
Abhishek,
We have not confirmed them to be feeding on rodents yet. I'm sure Ricky will try to feed them this weekend.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally posted by COBRAMAN
Abhishek,
We have not confirmed them to be feeding on rodents yet. I'm sure Ricky will try to feed them this weekend.
Ray,

Well surely let us know what happens
Wouldn't it be ironic for them to be grouped in "Ophiophagus" if they ended up being rodent eaters

Old 07-09-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
COBRAMAN
Yes, that was what I found ironic as well. They ARE "Ophiophagus". I wil be attempting to feed them Sunday, and will let you know. If they feed on rodents, I may have to keep a pair.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
taphillip
Ray, correct me if I am wrong. but those look to be Indonesian Kings right?
Anyway, we have 9 adults now. They don't seem to get as big, but what they lack in size they make up for in agililty. Anyway, indonesian kings are not rodent feeders naturally, we get all of our kings of all "forms" to take rodents eventually. but by no means are indo kings "rodentiaphagus" ( i made that word up)
I would also be very interested to find out if they are indo kings, and also if they readily take rodents. As I am always happy to be shown otherwise!
terry

Old 07-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #9
COBRAMAN
They came from an island off Indonesia, from our shipper in Indonesia, but are SUPPOSED to accept rodents and it is believed that they will eat rodents in their natual habitat. We will have to see....I am not holding my breath.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!