Accepting/Using PayPal - the 3% - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
If the friend is selling something to you, I feel that is unethical to deprive Paypal of their 3%. If the service is used it should be paid for.
I think the exception Paypal allows is for real gifts to friends and relatives.
Ethics are subjective and fluid. Some people claim they would never take advantage of a family operation if given the wrong change back but wouldn't think twice about not telling the walmart checker that they gave them change for a 20 when all they gave them was a 10. You can't have it both ways IMO.

I agree with you. I think it is unethical as well but you are going to get a lot of argument especially when you mention "depriving paypal of its 3%." Paypal is a huge corporation that deserves to be ripped off in some people's minds.

I just had a deal on another site where I paid the 3% because I had committed to the deal before reading the guys full TOS. I was on my 3rd page down and was still reading them and that alone usually turns me off but I just skipped to the stuff for sale and missed the 3% thing. I would have hit the back button then and there had I seen it. I also had a big issue with his refund policy That I had to take advantage of but again it was spelled out in the TOS that I didn't read so I was stuck. The deal wasn't horrible just not as good as it initially sounded. I just bit the bullet and put him on my ignore list.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Yeah, that's making a resurgence, too.
Just as much of a deal breaker, IMO, but it seems some people don't know any better...either that, or they are so desperate for the deal that they don't care that they're SOL.
No legitimate seller should ask for payment in the form of "Gift" (or tell you to add the fee if you use PayPal)
I agree with you about the gift thing but not quite so much on the 3%. It is an expense and sellers always try to recoup their expenses in some way. They could raise their prices by 3% or charge it up front. I would never do it and would probably not knowingly buy from sellers who asked it but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are not legitimate.

As far as the gift thing goes. If you are paying with a CC you will pay the 3% if you use the gift feature. A 100 dollar sale will cost you 103 bucks so the seller gets his full 100. If a CC is used the CC company will get its cut and Paypal won't pay the CC fees for anyone. If you are paying using PP balance or bank account then no one pays any fees.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
hhmoore
Actually, if you use the gift option via credit card; I think you get the (higher) cash advance interest rate....but, last I heard, the sender decided who paid the fee.

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are not legitimate.
How about "no legitimate business" should tell you to add the fee? (I don't mean to imply that either gift or +3% is acceptable from any seller, though.)

The reality is that, yes, if we're taking PayPal, we consider the fees when setting the price (or negotiating). One thing I used to do - years ago - when a seller added that +3% line, was to lower my offer another 5% below what I planned.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I agree with you about the gift thing but not quite so much on the 3%. It is an expense and sellers always try to recoup their expenses in some way. They could raise their prices by 3% or charge it up front. I would never do it and would probably not knowingly buy from sellers who asked it but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are not legitimate.

As far as the gift thing goes. If you are paying with a CC you will pay the 3% if you use the gift feature. A 100 dollar sale will cost you 103 bucks so the seller gets his full 100. If a CC is used the CC company will get its cut and Paypal won't pay the CC fees for anyone. If you are paying using PP balance or bank account then no one pays any fees.
2 cents:
I think it appears more professional to work it into the price of the animal/product ahead of time and not try to add it later when the customer wants to use PP. Allows for some negotiating room too.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
FullMetalOctopus
I just recently came across a post where the seller mentioned that they wanted the buyer to pay PayPal's 3%. I agree that it does look rather tacky and unprofessional: working the 3% fee into the price would be a much better way of going about this.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
Big Borg Reptiles
As soon as I see that in a post I close it...I don't even care if it's something I really want.

If you can't handle paying the 3% for the convenience of using paypal, then don't use it.

Also, I think about this every time I see it...paypal takes 3% out of the TOTAL you pay. This means that they also take 3% out of the 3% extra that you paid to cover the charges. Does this mean that you have to pay an additional 3% to cover the 3% of the 3%...and then 3% of that 3%? Lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!