Accepting/Using PayPal - the 3% - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
hhmoore
Accepting/Using PayPal - the 3%

A number of years ago, there was a spate of sellers trying to charge customers an additional 3% (or more) for using PayPal. It was pointed out over and over (and over) again that doing so is a violation of the PayPal User Agreement. It is also unprofessional; and is considered by many to be a deal breaker. The seller benefits just as much from PayPal payments as the buyer - perhaps more, when one considers the sales that would be lost by not accepting credit cards or waiting for money orders that never arrive. The fee (2.9% + $0.30) is a cost of doing business; and if the small amount of money involved makes that much difference, the sellers should reconsider & adjust their pricing. Eventually, the practice of trying to charge the fee essentially disappeared from this site...but, for whatever reason, there has been a resurgence recently.

Hopefully all buyers (new and experienced) have the sense to turn away from sellers adding more money because of the method of payment.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
SteveHiss
Agreed. It is a cost of doing business.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Reptile Frenzy
I agree harald. That fee is part of business and some credit card charges are more that 3% last time i checked. Cost of doing business. Call it a convient fee for using a simple and easy service to get paid.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
SPJ
The newest thing is trying to get you to pay as a gift which gives you no recourse if the seller stiffs you. Unscrupulous people will try anything to make a buck.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
hhmoore
Yeah, that's making a resurgence, too.
Just as much of a deal breaker, IMO, but it seems some people don't know any better...either that, or they are so desperate for the deal that they don't care that they're SOL.
No legitimate seller should ask for payment in the form of "Gift" (or tell you to add the fee if you use PayPal)

Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Reptile Frenzy
Yeah only time i send money as a "gift" is to a friend that i fully trust so i can save him from the 3% fee

Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
Yeah only time i send money as a "gift" is to a friend that i fully trust so i can save him from the 3% fee
If the friend is selling something to you, I feel that is unethical to deprive Paypal of their 3%. If the service is used it should be paid for.
I think the exception Paypal allows is for real gifts to friends and relatives.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Reptile Frenzy
Now that you put it that way it makes sense! Yeah your right paypal is offering a service to use and it should be paid for. Good point!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Slashmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
You also put your friend's account in jeopardy when you do that. Gifts are flagged on accounts and if you get too many of them, the account will be locked and PayPal will be calling asking for an explanation for the number of gifts. This happened to me when I was transferring funds between two of my paypal accounts (business and personal) and the personal option was the one that made the most sense.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Reptile Frenzy
Thanks for the advice!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!