Wanted Female Black Throated Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
slybrood7
Female Black Throated Monitor

Hi, I currently have a 6ft 2inch male black throat, and what I thought was a 3ft female but just a couple months ago turned out to be another male. I'm very interested in getting a female for my big guy. I have all my pets registered with permits, lots of experience taking care of these guys, they have free roam in my home as well, my big boy here just turned 3 in december
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Sergeman7
I'll be deploying soon and will have to rehome my Blackthroat.

I think it is female. I believe this becuase sometimes when it poops or sometimes when I piss it off it will extend from either side of it's tail what looks kinda like penis's. But becuase it splits to the side and not extend downward I think it's a female. Correct me if I'm wrong please. It is not easy to find sexing diagrams on these lizards.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
slybrood7
sexing black throat monitors

http://www.mampam.com/index.php?opti...d=89&Itemid=60

this gives you a general idea on how to sex them, I know that my 2 males when they stick out their hemipenes they kinda jet out to the sides, my large male's are like 3-4 inches long and they get big in the end. I took my smaller monitor to the hamburg pa reptile show 2 times to see if someone could tell me the sex, they said it was female 2 times b/c they couldn't get him to pop the hemipenes. then one day a couple of months ago just before he too a poop i saw them, they were identical to my large male just a little smaller b/c of size difference. Its very hard to get these creatures sexed when they are smaller, but if you do in fact have a female then id love to take her off your hands. another note when they poop they invert their hemipenes just a little bit not all the way so sometimes they can appear to look like that of a female, Ive noticed when my big guy walks around and passes gas he will stand there and invert the entire thing and let out a foul odor(monitor fart), he also leaves a white mark on a lot of things, I guess its his way of marking his territory, I do not know if the females do this, I haven't seen my smaller one ever mark anything. Ive been really looking for a solid guide online for sexing monitors but haven't really had any success. Some pictures of the female anatomy would be great. I think I'm actually gonna start a new post to see if it brings up a definitive pictures.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
black throat monitor, female