Twinkie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Tears_and_Fangs
Talking Twinkie!

w00t, my boyfriend got me a little male iguana today from the petshop, I named him "Twinkie". His coloring is beautiful, he's really dark green (my other one I used to have was real light green) and he has this pretty blue color over his eyes. I took some pics of him...so enjoy!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
xtgrovex
Very beautiful How can you tells hes a male already?

Old 08-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Vince
Do you have a big cage for your iggy to climb around in? The only time mine would come down out of his tree was to eat.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Tears_and_Fangs
xtgrovex- Thanks! About him being a male, thats what the petshop told us. All they had in stock was males.

Vince- The cage I have him inside now is big for him, considering he's just a little guy now. LOL, the iguana I used to have would do the same thing, cept we fed him by hand so I think he came down just to drink....lazy lizard,lol.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
lzrdldy
To sex an Iguana look inside the hid legs. If there is a line of bumps resembling raised pimples,it is a male.Males also have larger heads and jowels.He or she is awful young by the looks of your pic.Check every so often to see if you can tell.Females also have these pores on the inside of the rear legs but they aren't raised up like they are on the male.Beautifeul iggy though. Good luck!!!!

Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Tears_and_Fangs
lzrdldy- Thank you very much. I'll check him today and look for what you said. And yes, he is a awful young Iggy right now. =)

Old 08-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Scales N Things
Beautiful little iggy...What happened to your other iguana? I'm sure you already know about igs, but check out www.anapsid.org for some great care info. There's a lot to know about igs. I guarantee the petshop was not being honest when they told you that all they had in stock was males. The only way to tell without a doubt the sex of a baby ig is to probe it. You can sometimes guess by the size of the dewlap, the size of the crest, and the presence or absence of a hemipenal bulge just past the vent. The femoral pores on the inner thighs don't develop until they reach sexual maturity at a year and a half to 2 years. I would take your lil guy to a vet and have him probed if you want to know for sure. It's pretty sad but pet store employees aren't always the best people to take advice from. Here's a pic of our Red Phase Iguanas for your viewing pleasure. That little green ig is very pretty. Make sure you give it the appropriate size enclosure, diet, heating, lighting and so on. They are very difficult to care for but it can be extremely rewarding as well.

John and Laine
Scales 'N Things . Com

Old 08-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Scales N Things
Oh, by the way. From looking at the pics it looks like a female based on the crest and dewlap...Not a guarantee by any means, like I said, probing is the only guarantee but it does look like a girl to me.

John Sanders
Scales 'N Things . Com

Old 08-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
Tears_and_Fangs
John, thank you! I'm sure my other iggy just died from old age...we had him awhile, but never can be to sure. My Boyfriend wants an iguana, and asked tons of questions about them so I sent him that link you gave me,lol. Yeah, your right...I dun' trust them store employees know, I rather take your guess than their word. Your red phases are gorgeous, I may get another one to breed with "Twinkie" if I find out his sex for sure (also when he's older x.x) But thank you much!

Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Scales N Things
I'm glad I was able to help, If I could, I'd like to make another reccomendation. Don't try to breed your iguana when she grows up. There's an over abundance of unwanted and neglected iguanas. They produce 60+ eggs in a clutch. I manage a pet store and we don't sale that many iguanas a year. It will be very tough for you to find homes. Iguanas can live up to 25 years. If your iguana wasn't anywhere near that age then it didn't die of old age. Make sure to do your research. I'm glad your boyfriend is going to check out that page. I hope you read it too. If you boyfriend gets an iguana, recommend that he adopt one from a shelter rather than buy one from a pet store. He'll get better information most likely, and the iguana will probably be better established. I would try to talk you into returning your iguana and adopting one instead but I'm sure you are very attached to it already and I know you'll take good care of it.

John Sanders
Scales 'N Things . Com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!