What happened to Canary GTPs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
What happened to Canary GTPs?

Haven't really heard anything about them since around 2006-2011.

They were locality GTPs from Kofiau Island, thought to stay yellow into adulthood instead of turning green. Some people said they would simply turn green later as adults. Others said they would not.

They were pretty hot for a while there and then seemed to drop off completely, I was curious if there was any new info?
thanks!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
tennlabs
I have a pair from reputable sources and have produced litters the last two years. The parents did turn from yellow to a yellowish green, but some stay yellow and you never know! I sold virtually all my offspring very fast, and I'm keeping in touch to see how they color up.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
PythonMan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennlabs View Post
I have a pair from reputable sources and have produced litters the last two years. The parents did turn from yellow to a yellowish green, but some stay yellow and you never know! I sold virtually all my offspring very fast, and I'm keeping in touch to see how they color up.
Are you planning on producing more in the future? I may be interested. I'll be on deployment for the next 15 months or so, so I can't responsibly get into buying anything right this minute.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Please take discussion of sales to private messages. thank you

Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
tennlabs
They're breeding right now

Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
PythonMan89
Just curious, I've been doing some reading on GTPs and the general consensus is that the GTP isn't really an animal you should handle on a regular basis, and they're more of a 'look but don't touch' kind of pet, similar to keeping fish. Is this accurate, or can they become acclimated to regular handling?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
yeloowtang
most arboreal snakes are best left alone and show only, in fact all snakes would be happy if left alone.. but the handling is for us humans need

that said, GTP s can be handled and most tolerate it well, just need to get them used to it. best is to have cycles where you handle day time only and feed night time only. It should also only be done after they reach 1 year old for their safety.
baby arboreal snakes are delicate, both their tails and necks, they can dislocate their own spine behind the skull by snapping at you and then just die, nothing can be done to save them. They just hang there with their heads down, mouth wide open as if grasping, then later they don't even have the strength to perch and fall to the bottom.. heart breaking to see so be very slow and careful if you have/need to handle them. once bigger it's safer, but you can still hurt them seriously if they do bite, grab you and you pull back by reflex !!!

I have GTPs ETBs and ATBs almost all can be handled. I just choose not to except for breeding. handling them will stress them a little and can affect my breeding projects.. so I only touch the males..females, even my puppy tame ones, I just leave them be.
hope this helps you a little

Steph

but if all you want is a nice GTP, it sure can be acclimated to be handled and most of them get puppy tame too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!