Mochino and Orange Glow Retics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
AndrewCW
Question Mochino and Orange Glow Retics

Hello, guys.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out a bit. I'm no big time breeder by any means, but I'm looking to expand my little project past the white/lavender/purple albinos and the blondes that I currently produce. The orange glows and mochinos are absolutely beautiful retics to me and I'd like to dabble a bit into those color morphs. However, I can't any real clear information as to what's compatible. Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction, to finding out what i produced by breeding a mochino to another mochino? Or an orange glow to orange glow? And maybe mochino to orange glow? Thanks in advance, guys!

Old 09-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
piebald320
I am not an expert by any means but I have become interested in the same thing lately and so I have done a little research! From what I have read it seems that a mochino is a mocha/Clark Caramel combined with Clark Albino. And an orange glow is a Foulsham Caramel combined with a Clark Albino. Now the genes are allelic which means that instead of having two albino genes and two genes for whichever caramel I think has one of each. So basically you could say it was a normal that is het for Caramel and her for Albino. So if this is true a mochino x mochino would yield mochinos, albinos, and caramels/mochas. And likewise an orange glow x an orange glow would yield orange glows, albinos, and Foulsham caramels. So if you bred an orange glow with a mochino you would get albinos that are poss gets for both caramels and normals that were poss het for Albino and the caramels. I could be wrong because there's some conflicting info out there but I think this is about right!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
elena
Sorry, that's not quite how it works. You are right about the mochino x mochino and orangeglow x orangeglow pairings, but mochino x orangeglow would produce albinos, mochinos, orangeglows and whatever the mocha/Foulsham caramel cross is called. Clark albinos cannnot be het for mocha or caramel. If they have a copy of mocha or caramel, it is expressed along with the albino gene, created the "cross."

Old 09-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
piebald320
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Sorry, that's not quite how it works. You are right about the mochino x mochino and orangeglow x orangeglow pairings, but mochino x orangeglow would produce albinos, mochinos, orangeglows and whatever the mocha/Foulsham caramel cross is called. Clark albinos cannnot be het for mocha or caramel. If they have a copy of mocha or caramel, it is expressed along with the albino gene, created the "cross."
No need to apologize! I had a feeling I was missing something on the mochino x orange glow so thanks for the correction! And I know that the mocha and Caramel genes are expressed with the Clark Albino, I was just trying to illustrate that a mochino isn't both a full albino and a full Clark Caramel since some people might not understand what it means for a gene to be allelic. And because that's what I originally thought they were!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
elena
Yes, Clark albino, Foulsham caramel and mocha are all allelic. Mochino has one copy of the Clark albino gene and one copy of the mocha gene. Orangeglow has one copy of Clark albino and one of Foulsham caramel. Different forms of albinism being allelic has been seen in several species now, such as Sharp albino/caramel albino/prodigy/blonde albino in boa constrictors and amelanistic/toffee/candy in ball pythons. I believe that the T- and T+ strains of albinism found in Colombian rainbow boas were proven allelic in the last few years. And amelanistic/ultra hypo in corn snakes.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
elena
Also, hypo and motley are allelic in boa constrictors. In ball pythons there are at least four non-albino allelic complexes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, genetics, reticulated python