New here, howdy! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
VirulentVulpine
New here, howdy!

Hey guys. My name is Kaycee, but you can refer to me as Vulp if you'd like.

I'm an animal enthusiast. I've owned a variety of animals my entire life, such as guinea pigs, ferrets, and rats.
I currently own and love: 5 dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 axolotl, and a mountain coatimundi.

I'm particularly an enthusiast of exotic mammals, and am knowledgeable on foxes (red, arctic, fennec, etc) and procyonids (raccoons, coatimundi, kinkajou). I have basic knowledge on many other animals, such as wolfdogs, otters, and primates, but these are not my main interests and I have less real life experience with them.

Hoping to learn and share knowledge here, find reputable breeders or importers, and have a good time!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
bcr229

Old 04-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Lucille
Welcome Vulp. We would love to see pictures, it looks like you have some interesting critters!

Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Dyscophus antongilii
Wow, it is great to have another exotic mammal lover on the site. I am very interested in Potos flavus. Can you please tell me any experience you have with this species? What is your Nasuella meridensis/Nasuella olivacea (not sure which species, I am sorry) like to live with?

Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
VirulentVulpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
Wow, it is great to have another exotic mammal lover on the site. I am very interested in Potos flavus. Can you please tell me any experience you have with this species? What is your Nasuella meridensis/Nasuella olivacea (not sure which species, I am sorry) like to live with?
Poto flavus are great! I was personally considering getting one before I settled on choosing a coatimundi. If I had to describe kinkajous, I'd say they're more cat-like while coatis are dog-like. But, on the negative side... I hear of kinkajous biting people way more than most exotics, and their saliva does have bacteria that can make you ill, or so I've heard. They're prone to being extremely moody after they wake up during the day.
I personally like coatis more, because coatis are diurnal and in my experiences, a lot more attached to their owners. But coatis are a bit harder to care for- they get bored way easier and need larger enclosures, and if you don't have enough time in your day for one, you'll need 2 and an even larger enclosure for them, because they get lonely.

Here are some photos of my male mountain coatimundi (nasua nasua) named Vega. 1 year old.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
VirulentVulpine
Ah, and in terms of what Vega is like to live with: a toddler with spider man skills, maybe? He's similar to a primate for sure, in terms of how crafty and social he is. If I'm watching TV in my room, he's up with me pulling books off my shelf, haha. Or if I'm downstairs cooking, he's opening the fridge door to try and sneak some food out.
He prefers to be outside though, on my porch. And his 10x10 outdoor enclosure, where he goes when I can't supervise him.

He also walks perfectly on a harness and leash, so I take him on hikes every day.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Lucille
He sounds wonderful!! Are you thinking of ever getting another or would two be too much of a handful? (And do two coatimundi even get along?)

Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
hotlips
Wow, fascinating room-mates you've got! Welcome, sounds like you might have a career in exotics somewhere down the road?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirulentVulpine View Post
Poto flavus are great!
Glad I am not the only one who likes them.

Quote:
I was personally considering getting one before I settled on choosing a coatimundi.
Who bred your specimen?

Quote:
If I had to describe kinkajous, I'd say they're more cat-like while coatis are dog-like.
That must be why I like them. Since, I much prefer felines to canines.

Quote:
But, on the negative side... I hear of kinkajous biting people way more than most exotics, and their saliva does have bacteria that can make you ill, or so I've heard.
I have never heard of that. But, thank you, for sharing that information with me. I definitely don't think that I want one now . On a serious note, that is something to consider.

Quote:
They're prone to being extremely moody after they wake up during the day.
I am too ! Seriously, I had no intentions of waking my specimen up durning the day.

Quote:
I personally like coatis more, because coatis are diurnal and in my experiences, a lot more attached to their owners.
I agree that is a plus.

Quote:
But coatis are a bit harder to care for- they get bored way easier and need larger enclosures, and if you don't have enough time in your day for one, you'll need 2 and an even larger enclosure for them, because they get lonely.
Yep, that is definitely something to consider.

Quote:
Here are some photos of my male mountain coatimundi (nasua nasua) named Vega. 1 year old.
He is so so handsome. Feel free, to show us/me, more pictures of him.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
hotlips
On kinkajous, wikipedia had this to say: "In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that pet kinkajous in the United States can be carriers (fecal-oral route) of the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonis, which is capable of causing severe morbidity and even death in humans, if the brain is infected.[15]"

I'm wondering, how do you deal with this issue? (does regular de-worming take care of this?)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!