Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections. - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the "no reply" policy in classified ads helped or hindered?
Yes. Re-enable all replies to the classifieds sections. 179 50.42%
No. Keep it as it is with replies to the classifieds disabled for non-paying members. 127 35.77%
Didn't go far enough. Disable replies in the classifieds sections to ALL members. 36 10.14%
What? I wondered why I couldn't reply to classified ads! 10 2.82%
There are classified ads here? 3 0.85%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #111
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
Has the desired outcome (reversal of site traffic decline) since institution of this change been achieved? Prior to the Facebook page creation, I mean, since that would be a confounding factor that could independently improve traffic statistics.
Corrected.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #112
WebSlave
Quote:
Has the desired outcome (reversal of site traffic decline) between institution of this change been achieved? Prior to the Facebook page creation, I mean, since that would be a confounding factor that could independently improve traffic statistics.
In my opinion, no. Or at least only in a negligible sense. Traffic here was the highest when replies were allowed to the classifieds, dropped down drastically when I restricted such replies, and hasn't really rebounded back much, if any, when I reopened the replies. So perhaps my closing replies to the classifieds will prove to have been a fatal mistake. That policy change being coincident with the growing popularity of FaceBorg (including the trademark infringing copycat pages and groups, ie: Board of Inquiry and BOI) might have made an irreversible turn for the worse here.

Of course, an unanswerable question would have to be, "Would things be even worse had I not re-enabled replies?" Again,

Oh well......

BTW, the site is STILL operating in the black, so as long as that holds true, I have no pressing reason to deep six this site in the foreseeable future. But I will say that paid memberships, banner advertising, and Google ad income have all taken a dive over the last couple of years. So what is true today isn't necessarily going to be true next year.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #113
nickolasanastasiou
Thank you. I do appreciate having that information.

I am ignorant of the banner and Google Ad matters, but I do have some connections to various paying members. While I (and others, I think) have made experimental attempts to co-promote membership purchases/donations in combination with product sales, I have seen (some valuable) people electing to downgrade levels for varying reasons.

If you do not mind sharing this, what is the rough proportion of cost coverage that is derived from the paid membership levels? I ask about that because it is the source with which I am most familiar. While I would certainly not ignore any particular income streams, I would likely be inclined to direct energies towards preserving that which is (or those which are) primary.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #114
nickolasanastasiou
By the way, regarding it being a fatal mistake, maybe and maybe not. It could be parallel and not conjoined. Not enough bridging information to be sure, I would think.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:41 AM   #115
WebSlave
Quote:
If you do not mind sharing this, what is the rough proportion of cost coverage that is derived from the paid membership levels? I ask about that because it is the source with which I am most familiar. While I would certainly not ignore any particular income streams, I would likely be inclined to direct energies towards preserving that which is (or those which are) primary.
To be honest, I really just do not know. I run several sites and actually run two servers. Everything is pretty much intertwined concerning expenses that there is no feasible way to itemize expenses and comparable income streams. Let's just say that I just look at this as a "whole ball of wax" sort of business. If the time comes that I find myself having to rape the retirement funds in order to pay the bills for this internet venture, then the whole ball of wax will just have to go bye-bye. I'm hoping that won't happen, but quite honestly I just did not really expect the downturn that is taking place now to happen right now as it is.

Beyond that sort of vague analysis, I really don't discuss details of my income with anyone. It's much like discussing paychecks with fellow employees. No good can come of it.

But I will say that I will be turning 65 years old in July of this year. I am going to be applying for Medicare soon, am collecting some retirement from my state job, and am holding out applying for Social Security until I can get the most out of that benefit. So that will be sometime between my being 66 and 70 years old. As long as the income from this internet stuff can hold up till then, I guess I can't really hope for more than that. And, of course, I do have assets that I have accumulated over the years that I could always liquidate if need be. I did sell off most of my gun collection a few years back, but used that money to buy into a new interest, which I think will be just as liquifiable if push comes to shove.

Ah well, I never really cared to be wealthy, and I certainly don't want to live forever. So just one day at a time.... The nice thing about being retired is being able to take time now to smell the citrus flowers. Literally...

Old 04-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #116
nickolasanastasiou
I can appreciate that (all of that). As to the discussion of financial details being a private matter, I agree, and that is why I asked about proportion rather than absolute figures, as that 1) helps for prioritization/re-prioritization and emphasis whther $10 or $10 million and 2) is plainly more polite of me.

I never thought I would say it when I left it, but I miss FL in my own way and actually hope to return someday.

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!