Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the "no reply" policy in classified ads helped or hindered?
Yes. Re-enable all replies to the classifieds sections. 179 50.42%
No. Keep it as it is with replies to the classifieds disabled for non-paying members. 127 35.77%
Didn't go far enough. Disable replies in the classifieds sections to ALL members. 36 10.14%
What? I wondered why I couldn't reply to classified ads! 10 2.82%
There are classified ads here? 3 0.85%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
WebSlave
Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections.

Back on 06-04-2011 I disabled replies to classified ads to all non-paying members. This was done, in part, because of a rampant problem with ad threads getting bumped sometimes MANY times a day by some posters, causing issues on many fronts. This was discussed here when I implemented that change -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=249378

So, we've been running the classifieds in this manner for just over two and a half years, and I figure it's time to re-evaluate the situation to see where we stand. Basically, has it helped? Or has it hindered you and/or how you use this site?

From my own personal standpoint (and I think some of the mods as well), the emails and PMs from members asking why that cannot post replies to the classified ads has NEVER ceased. Regardless of an announcement that shows up in each and every classified forum about this, and regardless of this being mentioned in the above mentioned thread about this policy change. Apparently those are not effective ways to get a message across to all members. I suppose it's a classic "lead a horse to water...." problem that has no real solution.

Secondly, my review of the statistics of traffic on this site shows a steady decline in participation. I expected postings to drop when the bumping problem was stopped cold, but maybe it's gone beyond that now. After all, this IS a discussion style forum site, so at what point does STOPPING discussions begin to hurt participation?

Postings are down, but oddly enough, new thread creations are up. New registrations have declined slightly as well, and raw page views are down as per the Google stats as well as the stats I see on my FaunaTopSites listing. So, when I see stats like those, I have to question myself about what I may have done in the past that could be causing this change. Granted, we lost substantial ground when we went through that server hacking problem back in the Fall, as I am sure many prospective participants high-tailed it away from here when they started getting malicious redirects to other websites. And it took longer for me to get that fixed than I wanted to. Maybe that is what is behind most of the drop I see in the stats. Maybe at least some have tried coming back and seen that the problem has been resolved. But likely not all. At least not yet. But still, I think I do need to be introspective about the classified ad change made and do a status check to see what you all think. Has it helped things, or put a real damper on member participation in sections that it really SHOULD be encouraged?

Of course, any members who might have left here for greener pastures because they did NOT like the "no reply" change probably won't be providing their input. Seems like no change here ever takes place without some collateral damages.

Anyway, not saying that I AM going to change things, but admittedly the results of this poll WILL influence me. That's why I am asking for input. It's entirely possible that even a poll will show no conclusive thoughts about this situation.

The poll will be pretty cut and dry, so comments posted as replies here are solicited. I prefer polls to be pretty simple, if at all possible.

So, let me know, please.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
I am kind of on the fence between the first three choices, but I will share my thoughts.

I try to keep my ads somewhat informative if I can, although that definitely makes them a bit beefier than some customers might prefer. Sometimes I am in a rush, lazy, or simply overlook something. Option one would allow questions about wares to be available in threads for all to see so that people may not have to email me to ask the same things repeatedly. Ooooooooooooooon the other hand, I already get a large number of people who ask me what the price is, what my terms are, and other information already present in the text of the ad (I love when they email me to ask what my email address is...), so some folks just seem to find the act of reading to be abhorrent.

Option two works fine for me on a direct personal level, but if it is potentially at the cost of the viability of this site's volume-based statistics, then I would be concerned with the possibility of a longer-term participatory decline (which would feed into a reason for generating this thread and its poll in the first place) based on what you have shared.

I like the idea of option three on some level, as it would potentially keep things "cleaner", but I think the drawbacks are greater than options one and two. People would still send messages to moderators asking how to reply. People would still send emails to sellers based on willful illiteracy. So load on both parties will be higher and I do not think that will solve the participatory issues you have highlighted.

My logic therefore excludes option three due to not offering a solution to several problems mentioned. That leaves option one and two out of those I might consider potentially viable. Option two changes nothing for the better if there is (I am not convinced there is or is not) any kind of causal relationship with current board functional status and current member participatory behavior. As such, I would test option one for a significant span of time if you believe this could significantly improve participatory and usage stats. If it is found to be worse, it could always be reversed once the test period is over. I cringe at the requests for shipping charges asked by tire-kickers to various sellers that do not build shipping in (I build it in because the fewer messages to a sale makes a better experience for me and for the buyers which are not looking to use me to fulfill some emotional need for a buddy), but they could adapt by linking to a calculation page for the facilitation or shipment service used by the seller. Of course, people will screw that up and put tiny weights in minuscule box dimensions to generate a quote that has no bearing on the realities of the actual product's shipping needs, but I guess that is just a part of the game such sellers would have to deal with.

So I guess I would vote for option one for a test period of six months and urge consideration of a reversal back to the current setup if improvement is not achieved (or if decline is very badly accelerated).

Thanks, Rich. I find these discussions interesting.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
B&C Ball Pythons
Personally I agree w/the policy about only paid members being able to bump their ads (within limits of course.) However, I do feel that everyone should be able to comment on the ads. As mentioned above it lessens the amount of emails, calls, texts, etc asking the same question that can be answered once in a public reply. I do see that becoming a problem not if, but when unruly people make rude comments or comments to provoke argument. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, but I think the benefits will outweigh the frustration.

I think a major factor in reduction of traffic is social media. There's several very popular social media groups that have a lot of reptile classified/auction/show and tell traffic. This has probably directed the traffic away from fauna a bit, but that is just speculation on my end.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
rcarichter
Probably a long-shot, but....
What if, when a non-paying member attempts to reply, they get a pop-up type thing that says "Non-paying members cannot reply within the ad. Please contact the seller via pm with any questions". If they're interested in the animal, it wouldn't be off-putting. If they're trolling to gripe about price, etc. it wouldn't give them the attention they're looking for.

Noelle

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
radera5
Good call Christine...
I must say, a pop-up informing everyone about the reply issue makes a LOT of sense to me as well.
Cut and dry, black and white, short, sweet and to the point...It would not leave much room for misinterpretation. I think it would solve 90% of the emails to you and the mods asking why they can not reply to ads.

Obviously this is only half of the question as I don't think it would help participation...but I feel it is a good idea none the less.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Casey Hulse
What we want is the best online classifieds on the internet, and based on my sales, I think we are there.
I do like Christines idea though.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Celtic Constrictors
If it's any consolation, Rich... I started using Fauna several years ago but only in the last year did I begin to check your site everyday. I have never had to post a reply to an advertisement posted by another member either before or after I purchased a subscription. I prefer contacting the member via PM or phone.

I don't see how disabling commenting in Ads for non-paid members is a hindrance to anyone. I see it as a protection afforded to all posters to keep spammers, scammers, and griefers at bay.

Just my .02 cents

Evan

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Painteds4Life
I do not want to go to the bump festival. Keep it the way it is. If you could do what rcarichter says that would be awesome.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post

So I guess I would vote for option one for a test period of six months and urge consideration of a reversal back to the current setup if improvement is not achieved (or if decline is very badly accelerated).
That's a great idea, a results-based proposal with a realistic time frame.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
hhmoore
The bump problem was largely addressed in 2010, when the OP was not allowed to post in his/her own thread except (in theory) as a response to another member. There was some buddy bumping, some price policing and redirecting (The price you're asking is way to high!! Mr X is selling the same thing at whatever site for a whole lot less than yours), and a good deal of argumentative crap - all of which led a lot of infractions being generated in the classifieds.
Personally, I prefer the classifieds closed to posts; with only being open to contributing members being the next best option...but I'm more interested in the well being of the site. I can always go back to locking my ads

If you choose to reopen the classifieds to responses by all members; I'd cast about 30-40 votes in favor of keeping the first block in place, to reduce the number of bump attempts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!