Mold on bark - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
sammiethes
Mold on bark

Hello.

On Saturday I returned a previously sick tiger salamander to his tank. New substrate and a clean tank. I put a newly acquired piece of bark in the tank for him to hide behind. When I came to work this morning I notice a small area of mold on the bark. Typical looking grey mold. Just checked again and most of the bark has mold on it. There's also an odor that I haven't smelled in there before.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the mold or it's spores could be a health risk to the salamander. Is it that big of a big deal? They must encounter it all the time in the wild but maybe it's a potential problem in a confined space.

Many thanks in advance.

S

Old 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiethes View Post
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the mold or it's spores could be a health risk to the salamander. Is it that big of a big deal? They must encounter it all the time in the wild but maybe it's a potential problem in a confined space.
Hard to say. Could be. I don't suspect there are many salamander vivariums that don't have some mold growing in them. I personally wouldn't worry about it unless the mold growth is excessive, or if the mold is visually releasing quantities of airborne spores.

In dart frog vivs, we typically add mold-eating arthropods -- springtails, isopods -- to help keep mold and other undesirables in check. If you're collecting organic materials yourself, you might get some of these critters in the viv along with the bark and other materials. You might consider buying some and adding them, if you have them available where you live.

Some wood/bark sold in the hobby (cork, etc) doesn't rot nearly so fast as temperate tree bark.

I take it your salamander is doing better now with the cooler temperatures?

Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
sammiethes
Hello.

Not sure if I can get springtales and other arthropods here. I'll check next time I'm in the area where the sellers are.

The salamander has been better for a while but I was waiting for it to cool down a bit before deciding what to do with him. The tank is essentially the same but I've decided to go without a water bowl as he's not keen and never spent any time in the old one. I'll mist twice a day. He's been living on moist tissue for a good while now so that should be enough moisture for him.

I may try brushing the mold off if it gets to be excessive and see if it grows back again. No sign of it on the substrate.

Many thanks for the reply.

S

Old 01-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
Shelbronia
Mold shouldnt hurt the salamander, though for a constantly moist environment youd for sure want to at least get some springtails. Itll probably end up growing back, but im sure if anything you can get some isopods from outside to breed and release into your enclosure (if the salamander doesnt end up eating them).

Old 02-03-2020, 02:17 AM   #5
sammiethes
Hello.

The mold on the bark disappeared and so far has not returned.

I'll look into getting some isopods.

Thanks for the reply.

S.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
nameuser90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiethes View Post
Hello.

Not sure if I can get springtales and other arthropods here. I'll check next time I'm in the area where the sellers are.

The salamander has been better for a while but I was waiting for it to cool down a bit before deciding what to do with him. The tank is essentially good essay writing service regarding medicine https://www.wowessays.com/topics/medicine/ the same but I've decided to go without a water bowl as he's not keen and never spent any time in the old one. I'll mist twice a day. He's been living on moist tissue for a good while now so that should be enough moisture for him.

I may try brushing the mold off if it gets to be excessive and see if it grows back again. No sign of it on the substrate.

Many thanks for the reply.

S
What news? Is it grows again?

Old 03-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #7
sammiethes
Hello.

It's gone. No sign of it coming back despite the humid environment. Maybe there was something on the bark upon which the mold was growing and now it's gone.

Thanks.
S

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!