new boaphile - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
tstrenuous10
new boaphile

im thinking of getting a new boaphile cage for my ball and was wondering if anyone suggests anything i should get and anything i NEED to get. i was looking at the 421 with the 1.5 heat element and was wondering if i should get the radient heat. Also, i have a rheostat so should i get a thermostat also? its 100 or 190 for one and i dont think i would need one with my setup. Its just my one snake. could i get a tree branch in there for him to move around on? anything else i should consider? i live in reno nevada so it snows here and i try to keep the house around the 68-76 range year round.

i was also looking at show case cages as an alternative. yea they are more money but they look a lot nicer then just a plane black/grey cage. personal preferance.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
JCCS
Hi, I would highly recommend a boaphile cage over a custom setup, they don't look as nice, but the heat and humidity retention is best bar none. I always go with 2x heat with a four ft cage. Get the underneath and not the built in. It is cheaper and easier to replace in the event of a breakdown. I recommend the thermostat, but a rheostat will work, it just will not adjust for the heat of the room.

Chris

Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
tstrenuous10
ok. thanks. i usually keep the room around the same temperature. other than heating is there anything i NEED to add on or should have? i thought about fluorescent lighting as a personal preferance and i still cant decide between 3 or 4 black hinges. probably 4. maybe a lock in the center in case i still have a snake when i have kids. never know what might happen.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
JCCS
The lock isnt a bad idea. I have never had a problem with the hinges, so I don't believe an extra is necessary. Lighting is probably a bad idea. Having a cage act like a giant hide box is a great concept. The snake will feel more secure with less light. Alot of people like big lighted cages for their snakes, but a person's preference should not be what is important with a snake cage, it is the snake's needs. Just a little rant, not directed at you at all. With snake cages, I have found the simpler, the better.

Chris Canada-Smith

Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
tstrenuous10
even with the hide? how else is he going to get light? just trying to plan in case the room i decide to put him in does not get direct sunlight in the future. maybe get night/day lights and program them to switch every 11 or 12 hours. i would imagine he would be ok with it if he had enough hides.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrenuous10
even with the hide? how else is he going to get light? just trying to plan in case the room i decide to put him in does not get direct sunlight in the future. maybe get night/day lights and program them to switch every 11 or 12 hours. i would imagine he would be ok with it if he had enough hides.
If the cage is in a room with a window, you really don't need the lights. He doesn't need direct sunlight at all. Even then if you put it in a room with no windows, it would be better to run a light in the room and not directly in the cage.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
tstrenuous10
ok. sounds good. would you reccomend the uth or radient heat source?

i always see the bulbs for sale lots of places i go that claim to give the snake essential vitamins or they are better for night time viewing.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrenuous10
ok. sounds good. would you reccomend the uth or radient heat source?

i always see the bulbs for sale lots of places i go that claim to give the snake essential vitamins or they are better for night time viewing.
UTH are great for snakes, just get a good thermostat or rheostat to control it.

Ball pythons don't need UVB or UVA like some reptiles do. Putting the light in the cage would be a waste of money, IMO.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #9
SVT Snake
I just got 3 421T's in today. I always get them with 1.5 belly heat becasue my room doesn't get too cool. Usually around 75-78*. Black hinges because they look nice. Dual locks to keep kids out, and a flourescent light. I don't use the light much but at least it is there in case I do want to use it. It also helps to have the light during cleaning time. The flourescent light doesn't put out as much heat as the incandescent lights but they still get warm and tend to heat up the cage.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
tstrenuous10
ok thanks everyone. so i guess i dont need the radient heat panel. what about humidity levels? what should i expect to see in nevada with just a water dish in it? 40-50%? do they maintain their levels pretty well?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!