My False water cobra collection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
bigjay
My False water cobra collection

Here are 90% of the members of my ever growing FWC collection. These snakes are so absolutely fascinating, If you enjoy an interactive snake with uncanny intelligence then I suggest looking into false water cobras. Keep in mind they are rear fanged and are venomous..however their bite is not a serious threat unless you are allergic. I took my first envenomated bite this morning from a juvie ( 2' er) and I experienced very minor swelling, localized slight numbness and redness and nothing else at now 12 hours later.

Some of these pics were taken with a simple camera phone at moments when I just needed a picture so please excuse the overall crappy-ness of the photo quality.

I also have videos of all of these guys feeding nice and gentely on youtube.. just search my user name; 209jay .

This is my adult male who will be used in a joint breeding program this coming 10/11' season over several females. He is kind of the opposite of a hypo in that he has almost solid black saddles. really really super laid back.

2010 female..this is the one bieng hand fed a fuzzy in my other video post. She is super sweet and the favorite of my wife and kids. Youve never seen such an inquisitive, outgoing hatchling snake. ( note the stark coloration difference between juvies and adults/sub adults)

yes..thats a snake perched on my shoulder not a parrot

2006 super hypo female produced by Wes Pollack. She had just shed minutes before the photos of her in the enclosure. again..great temperment and stunning beauty.

This girl is going to be a monster, shes 2.5 years old and almost 5' already. This one has a great gold tone with greenish highlights that dont show well in photographs.

This is my other male, hes just over 2 years old and has the same gold tone as the above female. I will definitely breed these two to see if the gold is carried onto the offspring over the grey tone that many of them are. This guy is rediculously inquisitive bordering on nosey. It is impossible to clean his enclosure without having him come out or get his head right in your way when your moving hides or water bowls...seriously too much help

thanks for looking.. I should have a serious load of babys next year so im sure my collection will be much larger this time next season.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
bigjay
prime example of the nosey behavior from the sub adult male ( all of them exhibit this behavior in various ways). I open the door to clean the mess he just made and I get a snake face in the camera

mess cleaned..still nosey

Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
jeffwyatt81
Thumbs up

Alright, you got some pics up, yaay! Im liking the collection very much, for sure. They are all very nice, I really like thet super hypo, she has an amazing look to her.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Jadenkisses
Nice looking snakes!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
bigjay
Thanks Jeff and Jade! Yes indeed Jeff.. that super is a hell of a snake. In person shes something else.. especially when your comparing her to standard colored specimens.

Excuse the old growth forest that is my arm

Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
bigjay
another of the 2010 model

and another of my mature male.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
jeffwyatt81
I don't know much at all about FWC genetics so Im wondering is the hypo gene co dom in the FWC's?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
bigjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwyatt81 View Post
I don't know much at all about FWC genetics so Im wondering is the hypo gene co dom in the FWC's?
From what I have gathered so far, It appears that the hypo gene in FWC's is a combination of a co dominant trait and the result of line breeding. There is quite a bit of varience even in a super to super breeding. A normal bred to a "super" will produce some hypo animals but I dont think anything as light or reduced as the super will result or has resulted from it. I plan on keeping back the best looking male from my super female and breeding it back to her.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #9
AK907
Great looking collection, Jay! Thanks for sharing!

I've been really starting to like these guys lately. I've never seen one in person but I love the look and what I've heard about thier personalities. You said you're gunna be breeding them next season? If you're gunna part with any hit me up. Should give me plenty of time to research them a little more by then.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
bigjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
Great looking collection, Jay! Thanks for sharing!

I've been really starting to like these guys lately. I've never seen one in person but I love the look and what I've heard about thier personalities. You said you're gunna be breeding them next season? If you're gunna part with any hit me up. Should give me plenty of time to research them a little more by then.
Its usually when a person sees a tame adult for the first time that they fall for them... When you notice that as your checking him/her out you are bieng checked out in return

Researching them is tough, theres not too much out there about them and some of what is out there is incorrect or exaggerated. For instance.. their venom is toxic ( obviously) but their delivery system and the amount they are capeable of delivering is pretty insignificant in comparison. I actually took my first envenomated bite from a new snake yesterday ( it is a juvie that was never handled and has been fed live prey) other than very minor local swelling, a little extra blood and some redness there were no ill effects.

I will certainly be letting some go next year and will have 3 known distinct bloodlines available for unrelated pairs, If you happen to want one sooner I have friends that have babys from 2 different clutches available still ( one clutch are siblings to my 2010 female).