Cribo temperments - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
lovin2act
Cribo temperments

Hello,

Been scouring the net lookin for what I can on these guys. I like the Yellow Tails alot, but I am getting the impression they dont make the best of pets in regards to cuddling...haha ok not cuddling but you get my drift I hope. Is this a generally true statement in their regard? While I do like my share of snakes with attitudes, something of this size I would lean more towards have a more docile nature. I already have a grumpy FWC. Would a Black Tail Cribo be the better route if that is more to my liking with it's disposition? Believe it or not, I think I am digging these (Cribo's) even more than I dig the Indigo's for some reason. Anyhow, if anyone wants to weigh in I would love to hear any thoughts you might have. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
zipzagger
from what I have seen of FWC's I can't imagine a Cribo of any kind being any worse. I have a TX Indigo and it can be scary sometimes, but nothing like a TX Rat. The snake I have been bitten by more than any is my Northern Pine, when she gets warm and active, she gets excited and will do weird things like inflate her whole body and flatten out her neck like a Hognose.

Indigos generally bite only at feeding time if you are dumb enough to feed them by hand. But when a big Indigo does get hold of you it can be rough, they can bite pretty hard, like a boa or python of equal length. Just my two cents.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
lovin2act
Thanks for the input! Yeah I have a Southern Pine who gets pretty awnry(spell?), so I know what you mean!

Is $300 a good price for a Black Tail Crib by the way? That's what the guy wants for the one I am looking at

Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
JSI11
They're like people, some are just jerks. I have one female Black Tail that is a puppy dog. I can reach in and take her out without giving it a second thought. The other two have their moments but are very easy to understand.

Jeremy

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
zipzagger
I think all snakes can behave very differently at different times. I am certain that at certain times you could handle just about any snake safely except maybe Fer-de-lances and Black mambas and some of the really touchy pit vipers, but it would be a gamble. I was bit by a baby cottonmouth when I was a kid, and it was an almost dry-bite, my thumb turned brown, but I didn't even go to the hospital. I have seen WDB's that I think I might have been able to handle, but that is a big gamble.

if you have ever seen Steve Irwin handling that gigantic olive sea snake, you will realize that a lot of people get away with a lot of crazy things. that snake was heavier than the biggest EDB or King Cobra that has ever been documented, and if it had envenomated him, he wouldn't have made it to the hospital.

I really think those Mussuranas are interesting, but I am scared to own any kind of venomous snake, I have three kids, and I wouldn't even have a hognose, although I have handled them many times.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!