Would you cut in this case? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
phoenix-cry
Would you cut in this case?

Okay, so my female decided to have really bad timing in her clutch laying. Every year I go across the country for the last bit in July. I can not reschedule this trip, literally my family will disown me.

So. I will be leaving on day 55, I will not be back until day 60. If I don't cut and one of the eggs is having trouble pipping on its own, day 60 won't be a life/death type deal...right? I know that cutting is meant to help snakes that can't seem to pip and might drown, but how long do you have to make that call?

Of course part of me wants to cut so that I can see what's in there before I leave. But then if I do cut and leave the next day and I did the cut wrong I won't be around to do anything about it.

By the way, this is my first clutch, I've never cut, so I'm a noob at cutting as well.

My instinct is telling me not to cut, let them pip, and cut when I get home if someone isn't out.

Thoughts?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Double B Reptiles
I would cut personally. You will be fine if you cut on day 55 as well. I have a buddy that cuts on day 52 every single clutch, and he hasn't had any issues with that method. On the other hand, he maintains a constant temp and humidity, and leaves very little room for any other variables to come into play. If you don't want to run the risk of them drowning, cut. If you are nervous about it, just cut small slits in the top of the egg, that way, it isn't too wide open to spill out and the babies won't come out too early, yet you still have the cuts made for the babies to come out no problem. These are just suggestions as to what I would do, and in the end, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
radera5
Cut just a little 1/2 inch straight slit. Don't think anymore about it. Cut a tiny slit in each one. Not a window, don't try and look. Cut the slit in each egg, go on your trip and come home and see what you got. Easy call in my eyes. Being new to cutting won't matter as you won't be hacking them. Just don't cut deep and don't cut big.

Good luck, I know it will be a while, but I can't wait to see pics when you get back!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
RobNJ
I always cut early...you can just poke a little hole in the eggs. At day 55, there's not a whole lot more left going on in there, but if you're not comfortable doing it, don't.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
phoenix-cry
Okay, that makes sense that you don't need that giant window just enough to give them a start. I'll do that.

Thanks!!

It is going to be hard to enjoy my trip with my first babies at home!!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
SPJ
Make sure you know where the baby, cord, yolk, etc is BEFORE you cut.
Candle it and find the best place to make the slit. Don't cut too deep. A small slit thru the shell is all you will need.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
Thanks! I've been watching videos on how it is done. Im going with just a tiny cut

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
dustinNMpythons
I use the little scissors that are used for fingernails and for grooming. They work perfect because you can keep them flush against the inside layer of the egg so you don't go deep at all, you go the exact depth needed.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
I use the little scissors that are used for fingernails and for grooming. They work perfect because you can keep them flush against the inside layer of the egg so you don't go deep at all, you go the exact depth needed.

I'd almost be tempted to let them ride it out unless it's a high dollar clutch

Good luck! I was in a similar predicament this year but I was going to be out of town for a lay. I was lucky and she laid just a couple hours after I returned.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you do cut, research what to look for with tangled umbilical cords. You might be able to catch a potential problem before it gets worse while you're away.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
phoenix-cry
Thanks for the tips. It has the potential to be a multi thousand dollar clutch!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!