no desire to breed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Reptileking636
no desire to breed

hey guys i just have a couple questions. I have a pair of beardies that are about 4 years old and 18 and 20 inches, they have bred before and the babies were all healthy. This year, they seem to have no desire to breed, they came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago and have not shown any breeding behavior. The temps are correct with 112-115 basking and 85-90 throughout the rest of the cage. They are fed and hydrated regularly and are otherwise healthy and happy. My question is why won't they breed? Any suggestions or tips would be great.
Thanks a lot

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
fstop2100a
drop the temp to 100 in the basking area. Maybe they get like people? Just bored with the same old same old...... Thank gosh my girlfreind does not feel I am boring yet...

Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptileking636
hey guys i just have a couple questions. I have a pair of beardies that are about 4 years old and 18 and 20 inches, they have bred before and the babies were all healthy. This year, they seem to have no desire to breed, they came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago and have not shown any breeding behavior. The temps are correct with 112-115 basking and 85-90 throughout the rest of the cage. They are fed and hydrated regularly and are otherwise healthy and happy. My question is why won't they breed? Any suggestions or tips would be great.
Thanks a lot
Are they housed together or seperately? If you have them together all the time, then try seperating them to different cages for a week or two. Make sure they cannot see each other. Then reintroduce the female into the male's cage for a week. Then remove her for a week. The reintroduce her. The "newness" of seeing each other again will sometimes help to stimulate breeding. Also make sure they are getting adequate UVB/UVB lighting. Hope this helps!

Jamie

Old 01-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Reptileking636
They were housed together, i separated them about 4 days ago and today i let the female chase crickets and the male reverted back to the horny beast with great colors that he used to be. Then i put the female back in her cage and the male continued his display for another 3 or 4 minutes before he finally calmed down. Basically i just took a long time to say that your method seems to be effective and thank you for the excellent advice.
And in regards to the UV they get plenty of it, i take them outside every day and let them bask on a boulder in my yard for about half an hour. They also have the 10.0 florescent. Thanks again

Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Reptileking636
they overcame the urge not to breed today.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Just had a quick comment. I would lower those basking temps to 110 though, as 115 is a bit high. Just a thought.

Tracie

Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Bar None Reptiles
Next time just try some Barry White and that should put em in the mood.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!