HELP WEIRD SNEEZING - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
wilsonc
Question HELP WEIRD SNEEZING

My BTS has done this twice. A little under a week ago I took him out of his cage and he sneezed out a bunch of mucus. I cleaned out his cage and made his temperatures much higher. On his basking rock, it gets to like 110. He eats and poops and since I added UV he has been more active than ever. He really doesn't seem sick. But I got him out today and he sneezed up mucus again, although it was significantly less, I am still concerned. Obviously I immediately thought it was a respiratory infection, but I feel like he would act more sick if he was actually sick. He isn't sneezing often or breathing heavy, he just has clear, runny mucus that he sneezes up. It is unlikely that it is parasites because he resides in a large metal wire cage, 4x2 feet. I read that they sneeze because they burrow and need to clear their throats, but I have never actually seen mucus come out before a week ago. It only seems to happen when I hold him. His diet consists of dog/cat food and salads sometimes, although they aren't his favorite and he rarely eats half. Am I over reacting or under-reacting? Has anyone experienced this before?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
Rmacleery
I have 2 BTS, I have noticed a couple little sneezes nothing produced. No mucus. What is the temp you're keeping them at? What sort of substrate? What kind of humidity? Do you notice wheezing? I would dry out the enclosure if your substrate is holding moisture, put him on news paper, offer a hide with shredded paper or such and see if this dries him out after a couple few weeks. Sorry not much help, these guys come from arrive environment and if the water bowl is large enough they will soak when needed. Also do you soak him in a tub often and if so do you leave if shallow enough for him to keep his head above water at all times in he wants? Try drying out his living area and make plenty of water available, if that makes sense. Also make sure he isn't located right below an air conditioning vent that may be blowing directly into his home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!